Search

Cancun-Cuba?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 1999, 07:29 AM
Elisa

Cancun-Cuba?

Hi, <BR> <BR>Does anyone knows if it's possible to fly to Cuba from Cancun? <BR>What are the cost? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Jan 14th, 1999, 08:01 AM
Doug

I didn't try it, but most of the tour companies in the area were offering 2 day trips with a hotel night for about $250 when I was there in Dec.

Old Jan 14th, 1999, 08:03 AM
dan

When I was in the Yucatan last summer I saw lots of ads for trips to Cuba. I don't know what country you are in, but you can't go with a U.S. passport as far as I know. Contact a travel agency in Cancun for info, or maybe the Cancun visitor center (I think on Avenida Tulum).

Old Jan 14th, 1999, 07:23 PM
Kathy

You can go with a US passport, it won't be stamped. You need a visa, issued by travel agencies outside the US (for a fee). <BR>

Old Jan 17th, 1999, 07:31 AM
Micaela

I did this in August...not very difficult...not very expensive. if you are a US citizen, the Mexican travel agency will issue you a visa...DO NOT LOSE THIS...no one will be able to help you...Your passport will not be stamped, and you must have cash (or arrange an all-inclusive package through the travel agency) Credit cards, debit cards, travelers checks are not accepted in Cuba if issued through a US bank. While the Cubas are glad to have American tourists, they are doing us a favor by not accepting anything by untraceable cash. Us Dollars are the preferred currency althouth some places willl take Mexican Pesos. You can exchange other currencies, like the Can$ at banks. By the way, it's not illegal for US citizens to be tourists in Cuba, it's illegal for us to spend money in Cuba.

Old Jan 18th, 1999, 05:48 AM
dan

I knew about the restriction on not spending money in Cuba. Isn't it still breaking U.S. law to spend "untraceable" money there? I am curious to know more about these trips, because I would love to go to Cuba at some point. Were you able to exchange other currencies for Cuban without a passport from those countries (Canada, for example)? Don't worry - I may live in North Carolina, but I am certainly no Jesse Helms supporter.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 02:59 PM
Susan Park

Dan, funny thing about your living in NC with Jesse Helms--I live in IN with Dan Burton. I am sure neither have been to the wonderful country of Cuba. You can spend your American dollars anywhere and no need to get the peso. You will fall in love with Cuba as everyone does except the politicians who have never been there. They won't stamp your passport but mine is stamped as I've been there legally and plan to go illegally soon. It's my fave country.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 07:34 AM
dan woodlief

I am not really into cruises, but I just read recently that one cruise line is starting to offer daytrips into Havana. However, you are supposed to spend no money while on land - all meals onboard. I suppose you could pack a lunch, right?

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 08:36 AM
don

Dan- the way that a PDC travel agent explained it to me, you get around the restriction (known as the "trading with the enemy act", no lie) by purchasing all of your meals, room, tours etc in advance. That way, you are technically paying a Mexican, who is not bound by US law, to provide you with food and services and the Agent subcontracts to a Cuban. Anyway, the Clinton Administration has loosened these restrictions. Newsday had an article in their travel section on this last Sunday. You can probably access it through their archives. At any rate, everyone and their mother seems to be going there and nobodys being arrested at the border. If you go to the Cuban Interest Section in Washington or the counsulate in NY, they will issue a visa to you. It's not their law.