Cancun

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cancun

Where is the best place to exchange dollars for Peso's? Are there ATM's at the airport and do they give the best exchange rate?

Thanks
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:07 PM

Have you tried the Carribean board? This is the Latin American board. I would think you'll get more responses on the other.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:40 AM

We find that the best thing to do is to use your ATM card to get pesos - the rate is set by the banks and you will usually get a better rate there than exchanging at a cambio (we've never gotten a worse rate). Just remember that you will be paying a fee for using an ATM that is not with your bank so make sure you take out enough at a time - don't want to take out $100.00 every day - the fees will add up. Also, using a credit card card will get you the bank rate too.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:27 AM

We found out the hard way and exchanged in the airport, terrible rates. The best place to change money is at the front desk in your hotel. They have THE BEST rates and they do not charge a commission fee.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:14 AM

Chuckster, Cancun is in Latin America, the poster posted in the correct place, although Carribean would've been correct too.

Atm cards do seem the best. The airport isn't necessarily the best place for an exchange, especially when you land, and there can be such confusion at the airport. We usually exchange some dollars at the American airport we depart from, and at our hotel, though not all hotels do this.

The shopping mall (La Isla)in the center of the hotel zone has an atm that we've used...
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Agree with Franke, this is the correct board for Cancun posts (it is on the Carribean but no one posts there for Cancun).
Dont agree with sl_logic regardng exchange. I have never found the best rates at a hotel. The ATM's are the best since they give the official bank rate. (and you can get good rates at airport ATM's--just avoid the currency exchanges).
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:54 AM

I do know that Cancun is in Latin America. I was trying to be helpful, knowing that a lot of Cancun info is also under the Carribean posts. When we went to Cancun, I got most of my information there. I should have worded my reply more carefully.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Has anyone had experience with the Cancun discount card? If so, good or bad?