Cabs at PVR

Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabs at PVR

I know there are a couple of choices of cabs at PVR- the gov't operated ones at the airport or the ones you get by walking over the pedestrian bridge. Is there really a big difference in price?
Recommendations?
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know how much you'd save by walking across the pedestrian bridge but it hardly seems worth it to me. If I remember correctly, last time I was in PV, the taxi to the airport was less than $20. I suppose it depends on where your hotel is located. I think you might also be able to use Uber.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tom- you can use Uber- but you have to go over the bridge to use it- not allowed at airport. I have used both in the past. The other thing I don't like about using the airport taxi is the lines of people waiting for the cab- but we'll figure out one way or other.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 08:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I meant to say the taxi from the airport, not to the airport. But yes, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Let us know which you end up choosing and how it goes. And have fun in PV. Love it there.
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 01:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can tell you the prices exactly if you are willing to say where you are staying. The federally operated ones (3 companies) are the only ones allowed to pick up at the airport. You can leave the airport on foot and will save about 1/3 the price by either walking over the bridge or south along the side of the highway. There's also the bus if you have no or very little luggage. There's also prearranged services like Superior Tours.

I have done all these ways myself at least once. My preference is simply using the normal taxis right from the Arrivals Lobby. I can describe any of these in more detail if it would be helpful.

siempre, suze
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 10:48 AM

over the bridge

about 2/3 of the Airport Taxi rate.
Keep in mind the the Government. Licenced not Operated, Taxis at the airport can only pick up at the airport and must return empty !
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 09:14 AM

I know this is an older thread but we just returned from PV a few days ago and have had experience with both "taxis in the front of the airport" and "going over the freeway bridge." We usually walk out of the airport, turn left, walk, and then turn left again to go up the ramp and on to the overpass and down the ramp to get a taxi. Never has been a problem. Greeted warmly, ride available right away, and then driven to our hotel. The first time when the driver did a turn down a sketchy side street at the beginning of the ride, my spouse and looked at each other with concern, but all was well as he needed to make a u-turn. And in subsequent visits the drivers all made that turn.

This past trip we thought we'd try the front of the airport taxis. We were tired from a flight delay, a 4AM wake up alarm, and just wanted to get to our hotel. What a mistake! Though the fare was fine (350 pesos) the lines were long. There was about five different folks who tried to get you to get in their line. Once someone made a connection with you, you were taken to pay up front and given the receipt. Then you were guided to one of five or so lines. The lines were long and there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which incoming taxi stopped at which line. We must have watched taxis come and go for fifteen minutes before one actually stopped at our line. I went back to the booth to ask for a refund in part saying I had asked if it would be a long wait and was told "no" but the gal said her boss (the woman who nabbed us) would need to be called. Overhearing the conversation another line leader had us follow her to the front of the line.

Although I am basing this on one experience with the "front of the airport taxis" ...lesson learned. We will always cross over to the other side of the bridge.
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

We ended up taking a taxi from the airport. It was not busy so no lines as stated above and service was fine. After that we used Uber to get around. Also easy and less expensive than regular cabs. We did use the bus a couple of times. That was a little uncomfortable as bus was crowded and although masks were required there were a few on the bus not wearing them.
We took Uber to airport on the way home.
All good- nice trip
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 05:40 PM

I have not been since the pandemic struck, but before that 30+ trips arriving PVR all different times and days or the week and almost always use the federal airport taxi. I buy my ticket from the booth inside using peso, then head out to the line for the company name that is on the ticket (there are 3 different companies working the airport). I've never experienced anything like what Janeyre describes thankfully.
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 12:24 PM

Also important to remember that the TIME OF YEAR can make a difference on how busy airports are. Plus the post-pandemic surge to places which do not require quarantine, testing or proof of vaccination to enter.

Always appreciate reports from RECENT visitors. I was in PV for a day off a cruise ship in February and it is PACKED with gringos. But I believe that is normal this time of year with snowbirds.
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

The days the cruise ships are there are usually crowded. We were there before spring break and not really crowded. We did not spend much time in the old town area though. We ubered through a couple of times. Did see some bars packed with partiers but the places we went felt comfortable.
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 03:44 PM

There is still a pretty robust cruise schedule, see https://cruisedig.com/ports/puerto-v...exico/arrivals. At least until the big ships relocate up to Alaska in April/May. The ships were running at low capacity when I went in January and February (25-30 percent) but now it's closer to 50% so should be worse.

A lot of cruise passengers don't go into old town, I know I didn't. I was around the hotel zone (and walked up the Pitillal River trail).

Is "before spring break" is referring to another trip, or this year? I guess it is different if you live in Canada vs right now in Southern California, UCLA starts tomorrow.

Mazatalan sure is popular with the Canadians. Much preferred it to PV as a cruise port.

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 17th, 2022 at 04:05 PM.
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 08:59 AM

Seeing a city on a cruiseship stop is not the same as staying there for a week or a month. You see things from a different perspective when you spend more time and/or have visited a place many repeat times.

Yes obviously "high season" of Nov - April is much busier with more "gringos" than shoulder or low season of May - Oct when more Mexican nationals and international visitors take a vacation in PV. But the airport's always busy year-round.
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 09:14 AM

Have you ever gone in high season, suze?
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 10:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by suze View Post
Seeing a city on a cruiseship stop is not the same as staying there for a week or a month. You see things from a different perspective when you spend more time and/or have visited a place many repeat times.

Yes obviously "high season" of Nov - April is much busier with more "gringos" than shoulder or low season of May - Oct when more Mexican nationals and international visitors take a vacation in PV. But the airport's always busy year-round.
I would tend to agree with the above. First visited PV while on a cruise, back in the late 80's. Really liked it. Went back for a 10 day stay a few years later and hated it. Haven't been back since and have no plans to. Even though we could drive there in a day. Too many far more interesting places to see in Mexico.
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 11:22 AM

I hated it right away, baldone. But the cruises leaving from Los Angeles always stop there.

I'll take a cheap cruise if it's under $100/day all in, hotel on the ocean with transportation and meals included and a day or half day to wander around somewhere different with little effort. No packing, no airplanes. I stay away from the pool deck, though. Laying out in the sun is the last thing I have an interest in doing, been there, done that during the first 30 years of my life (grew up in the Caribbean and South Florida before moving to Los Angeles).

Of course I agree with your last sentence. For example Yucatan is far more interesting if one is a snowbird. I am not a fan of the heat but the Mayan culture and ruins make the suffering worthwhile.

I am so ready to head back to Mexico City. Maybe I can get there before the monsoon season starts.

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 08:33 PM

{Have you ever gone in high season, suze?}

Yes. Of course. Many times. But not recently since the May/June or Oct/Nov is so much better for so many reasons.

Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 08:37 PM

baldone ~ So you have been to Puerto Vallarta precisely twice in the past 4 decades but believe it is not "interesting" and you would not recommend it?
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 03:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by suze View Post
baldone ~ So you have been to Puerto Vallarta precisely twice in the past 4 decades but believe it is not "interesting" and you would not recommend it?
As I said, we were on a cruise. It was our first time in Mexico. We rented a Jeep and drove down the coast. Spent much of the day at a place called Club Chee Chee. Probably the best stop on our cruise. Enjoyed it so much we wanted to see more of Mexico. After visiting Isla Mujeres, Holbox, Tulum, Huatulco and the Oaxacan coast as well as Oaxaca De Juarez, Cuernavaca, Taxco, & Mexico City, we figured it was time to try PV again. Because I agree with your sentiment that visiting on a cruise is different than spending a week or more in a place. But we found the city dirty, expensive & way too touristy. The beaches and water were subpar compared to the other beach areas I mentioned. It just had a vibe that we didn't like. I won't elaborate. And I can only imagine how it's changed since then, and probably not for the better I'm sure. We've since visited the Michoacan & Guerrero coast as well as the Veracruz & Tamaulipas coasts. And points in between. So, in comparison to all the other places we've had the good fortune to see, as well as the places we've yet to see, no, it doesn't interest me to return. BTW, I have recommended PV here on Fodor's. It's probably a good family vacation place for first timers to Mexico.

Old Mar 24th, 2022, 10:43 PM

"It just had a vibe that we didn't like. I won't elaborate. And I can only imagine how it's changed since then, and probably not for the better I'm sure."

Unfortunate for you. But no one is asking for a tour of Mexico or the imagination or memories of a person who visited decades ago.

They simply wanted help getting a taxi at the airport arriving Puerto Vallarta.