Search

Cabo weather in January?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabo weather in January?

Hey guys, I'm planning on spending a week in Cabo San Lucas and La Paz in early January, the 1st-9th. After doing some research, it seems that the water will be too cold and choppy to swim that time of year. Is this a correct assessment? I've heard the water is choppy down there most of the time, so swimming wasn't necessarily a priority anyway. Assuming we can't swim, will it even be sunny and warm enough to enjoy being on the beach, sunbathing, and doing outdoor activities like hiking and sailing in early January? I'm finding conflicting information. I just want to be able to soak up as much sun as possible and want to avoid cloudy or rainy weather if possible. Thank you to anyone who can give me some info!
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 09:29 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't answer from experience but this is the website I use for planning. Looks like daytime temps in the upper 70s, nights mid-50s. That isn't very warm to me but pleasant enough. Little chance of rain.

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur Travel Weather Averages (Weatherbase)

Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 12:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It shouldn't be rainy weather (that is in the summer/hot season) but it may be cooler than you would like it to be for a beach vacation.

Are you splitting your trip between the two towns? Will you have a car?
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It is all relevant as to where one is from. If one is from a cold, frozen place, the weather will be perfect. If one is from, say, SoCal, one would consider it a bit cool, particularly at night. Pool swimming and outdoor activities will be great. I find the ocean a bit too cold. Not like Hawaii water. It tends to get windy at night, so bring a sweater. Go!
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 07:33 AM

Like Southern California, It's basically a desert next to cold ocean, so little chance of rain outside of hurricane season. However you may find it is not that pleasant for sunbathing.

I would head south where the ocean is warmer and you don't have to deal with the cold wind blowing in.
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 09:46 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mlgb
. . . so little chance of rain outside of hurricane season. . .
Called "monsoon season" in that part of the world, the weather patterns that also affect Arizona in summer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_monsoon

Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:23 AM

I love monsoon season in Arizona. We get an occasional push onto the coastal plain from the desert, but mostly it is inland from the Coastal area in Southern California. I think of them as more a feature of the inland mountain ranges and deserts. I don't know if the monsoons really affect the Baja peninsula.

Baja does get tropical storms and hurricanes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ula_hurricanes

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 06:52 PM

We visited during that same time period....nice sunny days with pleasant but not really hot temps....okay in pool but most are cold. Nights get chilly and a wrap/sweater is needed. It is a very nice time of year down there...no rain for us that is for sure.