Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Cabo San Lucas or Cancun??? This couple can't agree!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I need your help! My bf and I want to go to Mexico for a vacation this August. We are from NYC and are in our late 20's/early 30's.

We can't decide between Cabo San Lucas and Cancun. Our plan is to go somewhere for 7 nights. Our main interests would be snorkeling, relaxing on the beach, eating, and taking day trips.

I was interested in Cancun because of the ruins and it seemed like there were lots of places to go for short day trips. However, my bf (mostly) and I (somewhat) am concerned with it being too "spring-break" style. We like going out at night but like a more laid-back atmosphere. I think my bf wants to avoid "Girls Gone Wild" at all costs.

From my research, I feel that Cabo is just as built up and the beaches seem rocky. Also are there interesting ruins to see??

Any advice would greatly be appreciated! This is our first trip to Mexico... and hope to make it our first of many.

Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Forget Cancun... Go to Tulum. It is more laid back and the snorkling is great. Sian Kaan is nearby if you like hiking in the jungle and there are lots of fresh water cenotes around..... If you want to stay right on the beach I would reccomend a place call Tribal Village... a small cabana for two cost about 250 pesos (25 US) the place is rustic but clean. I prefer to stay in town because there is more to do. there is a little place at the south end of town call Rancho Tranquilo. http:\\www.ranchotranquilo.com.mx that is really chill and has a communal kitchen and breakfast is included. they have cabanas as well as regular rooms with A\C. Family run with a nice staff.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hugely different natural settings.

Cabo is at the tip of a desert peninsula. It is just as built-up as Cancun without the beauty of the jungles and lush surroundings. There are no ruins there. You'll be hard pressed for day trips (well i guess you can drive to La Paz or Todos Santos).

How about a compromise of Playa del Carmen or Isla Mujeres? (you'd fly in to Cancun)
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Yes avoid both since they epitomize the girls gone wild lifestyle.
Playa del Carmen, Tulum or Cozumel are all much nicer.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Play del Carmen was on the list for "day-trips" in Cancun.. is that do-able in the day? Sorry for all the stupid questions!
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:43 AM

It is a stereotype that Cancun is a wild spring break type atmosphere. You can find that if you so desire, and go for the really cheap all inclusive hotels, but I've taken my children, and it's been one of our top 3 favorite holiday places, rounding out Yellowstone and a European trip.
Cancun is paradise compared to Cabo, imho. There is just not much to see in Cabo, compared to amazing ruins, cenotes, islands, etc.
Do a little research, choose your hotel carefully, and Cancun would be a wondeful vacation.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:46 AM

I would stay in Akumal (great snorkelling), Playa del Carmen (lively little city), or Tulum (miles of empty beaches). They are all within an hour of the ruins at Coba and Tulum, and all have wonderful beaches. Go to locogringo.com for more info.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Playa is definitely do-able in one day. It's only a 45 minute drive south. We rent a car to explore the area. There are some wonderful hotels in Playa, too.
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sure, you can go to Playa del Carmen just for a day by car or Isla Mujeres by ferry.

But for me, Playa would simply be more my style than Cancun so I'd choose to find a hotel there (or Tulum or Akmal) and day trip from *there*. The Cancun hotel strip reminds me too much of Miami beach to be of interest.

That said, it's not likely you'll find much spring break type activities in August anyway anywhere.

Cabo would be personally about my very last choice of places to go in Mexico.
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your replies everyone. I am not really that down with Cabo (didn't know if you could tell by my post! ) But I guess my bf has a certain preconception that Cancun is all kamacazi shooters and wet t-shirt contests.

I was originally looking to the Fiesta Americana Coral Beach.. but now I am thinking about the possibility of diving the vacation b/t Cancun and PDC (still have to see what my bf wants).

I was looking at Casa del Agua and it looks amazing. Any other places I should look?
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:42 AM

I think the views/beach at LeMeridien's beach surpass FA Grand, but the Grand is better for calmer surf. Also check out the Gran Melia, which has been totally redone, and Fiesta Americana Condesa, which are all on the same beach as LeMeridien.
Casa del agua looks beautiful; haven't seen it in person, though.
Las Palapas in Playa looks nice, too, as does Luna Blue, and La Tortuga.
Have fun !
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks frankie for the suggestions. Will definitely have to check those out!
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:39 AM

dotska - my husband and I are 28/29 and we just returned from a second trip to Tulum. I think it's a great base for the types of activities you all are interested in and, while close to Cancun geographically, is light years away in the "spring break" category. If you click on my username you can see the trip report I just posted, and I'll be happy to answer any questions.
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Only caution: remember that August IS hurricane season for Cancun/Tulum, so the west coast option might be a safer bet weather-wise. You'll see why I say this after you read my trip report! : )
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:01 PM

I agree with the suggestions of staying in PDC, Akumel, or Tulum. The beaches are nicer down there and the vibe is way more chill!
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Casa del Agua does look awesome...but check out this aerial (taken a few yrs ago)...the beach looks kinda rocky/murky.
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Ooops:

http://www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/pto-av-s-t.html
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear KatieMac:

I still think you should go to Venice!! But whatever you do, have a good time and lots of gelati.

MY
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:06 PM

Michelle - I just laughed out loud when I read that - nice. : )
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

pepper thanks for that aerial shot! it really helps put things in prespective.

katiemac - thanks for the advice. i will have to read your trip report in detail.

yay i am really excited to go.

my bf and i are going to do a short yucatan tour. we're going to split time b/t cancun and the casa del agua. i am planning on booking this weekend! wish me luck

thanks everyone for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -