Search

Bussing it

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bussing it

My husband and I are heading to CR at the end of April. The plan so far is to bus it around the couple places we want to go. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with bussing it rather than car rentals. We will be flying into San Jose and we want to go to Monteverde for a couple days then to Mal Pais for the last stretch of the trip. Any advice would be great. We want to be able to see as much as we can and not be too limited. So....bus or car - what are the pros and cons of each in CR? thanks so much!
p.s. thanks for all the great posts on this site - it is interesting to read about everyones experiences!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Haven't bussed but I would choose Interbus or Grayline shuttle vans over the public busses to avoid the bus stations and the on bus theft hassle possibility. We always drive but have also enjoyed 4WD taxis in some of the areas when we were on tours or had flown into outback areas. Mal Pais is one area on this forum that an auto is often recommended.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:09 AM

We've used Interbus and private drivers. We found Interbus to reliable and convenient - they picked us up at the hotel and delivered us to our next hotel. They were comfortable, safe, made lots of stops etc.

The private transfers were even more convenient - travelling on our schedule completely. They showed us places we'd have missed if we'd driven ourselves and told us lots about the country as we travelled.

I didn't feel terribly constrained by not having my own car. I appreciated not having to worry about theft if we stopped, not having to worry about route finding, and the ease of letting someone else do the driving.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:46 PM

I traveled with Interbus from Monteverde to San Jose. As previous posters stated, convenient, safe, comfortable and dependable and highly preferrable to public busses.

http://www.interbusonline.com/
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 06:02 PM

We have traveled by public buses a couple of times and would recommend it just for the adventure of it (!). But only to those who could arrange to travel with a backpack (that they can hold in their lap) only!

We left most of our luggage at a hotel and, with our packs only, took off for 9 days to points south and the Osa Peninsula.

Totally agree with everyone's Interbus recommendations. It is the perfect solution for those who don't want to rent a vehicle and are traveling with luggage.

Earthtraveler mentioned the inconvenience of not having a car at MalPais, and he is right on. That is the one place where a vehicle is extremely helpful if you just want to get around a little . Everything is very strung out between MP and Ste. Teresa--one long strip up and down the beach. And then you'll want to go into Montezuma, of course. I'd certainly recommend a vehicle while in that area! On the other hand, if you just want to get into your hotel, surf and chill for a few days, you might could manage. We got a little stir crazy there and were glad to be able to move ourselves about some. Good luck and have a great trip!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great posts everyone - much appreciated and will use all the advice. A couple more questions...is there a car rental place in Mal Pais or maybe another mode of transportation for rent that we could get around on? Scooters, etc...?
Also, how do you find the private drivers?
thanks again and can't wait to get there!