bugs or no bugs

Oct 12th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

bugs or no bugs

Can anyone tell what the bug situation is like and around Samara (day, night and on the beach).
Oct 12th, 2004, 05:04 PM

Didn't notice any in June. Still a good idea to use a little spray in the evenings.
Oct 12th, 2004, 11:11 PM

chiggers? nosee-ums? mosquitos?
We were over-prepared for bugs on our last visit. I was impressed by the virility of some of the bugs I saw, but not stung or bitten. I've been bitten more at home. Serious. I liked the small (1.2oz) pump spray bottles of insect repellant that we carried along with a mini-Maglite everywhere. You'll be fine.
Oct 13th, 2004, 04:30 AM

I think it depends on you, TripleSec. Something about you those bugs want nothing to do with? I don't have a problem either, but both of my girls ALWAYS get lots of little bites on their feet (I'm talking in the 80 range). It's happened EVERY time they've been at certain beaches around dusk or a little later and forgot to use rep. And it makes for a very miserable few days thereafter! I met a lady in language school at Flamingo last year who had so many bites on her lower legs that she had to see a doctor--they had become infected. So yes, it does happen with some frequency. As I said, some beaches are worse than others (Tamarindo is notorious) and evening or later in the day seems to be the most likely time for no-see-ums.

Mosquitoes are less of a problem, but the do carry dengue and it does make one very ill for a week or two. Locals get it and so do a few tourists. Err on the safe side. But, no, it isn't a big deal. Ultra-thon is an excellent choice.
Oct 14th, 2004, 09:30 AM

The bugs LOVE me here in Washington, DC. I come out of the garden with a new bite or two every time. On the other hand, they don't seem to come after me much in CR. (except maybe after dusk in the Osa).
Oct 15th, 2004, 12:09 PM

Another thread jarred my memory. The canopy tour was the only place I was food for mosquitos.