Reload this Page >

Budget Accomodations Yucatan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 1997, 07:32 AM
Jennifer

I am going backpacking in the Yucatan for 2 to three weeks in early february. I bought the Berkeley Guide (Fodor's Budget Guide) and it has some really great places. Since we don't really know our whole itinerary is it feasible to show up at these places with there being a possibility of vacancy.

Old Oct 13th, 1997, 04:57 AM
joelle

We are also going to Yucatan but in January. I have bought a few guidebooks (American and French) and they all say it is better to book ahead as this is a busy period of time. However, one of my French books also said they tend (in small hotels) not to keep your room, should you arrive a bit too late... They also recommend to secure rooms early in the day, should you go on your own on an unorganized basis.

Old Jan 17th, 1998, 11:03 PM
clay mote

go to Playa del Carmen there are many great cheap hotels there just et your room before 2:00 or so be sure to go to the Blue Parot if noting else to hang out at the bar

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 05:12 PM
Fran

I was in the Yucatan 2 years ago and had no trouble at all finding a room without a reservation. The best places we stayed in were Hotel Maria de la Luz in Valladolid, right on the zocalo, grat for people watching. We stayed at the Dolores Alba in Merida & Chichen Itza. All were $20 or less. We did have to make a reservation for Isla Mujeres as it was the weekewnd and it does get full.

Old Jun 4th, 1998, 11:01 AM
Ralph Milson

Jeniffer:

I guess this reply is a bit late but anyway it could help other people traveling to the Yucatan.
High season is from Dec. 20 to after Easter and July & August. It is a good idea to make reservations or check in early in the morning.
In the city of Merida I recommend 2 hotels:
"Hotel Aragon" (99)24-02-42 fax (99)24-11-22
which is a new B & B hotel and has very good location, very clean and safe and around $25.00 USD for a double room with continental breakfast included
"Hotel Trinidad" (99) 24-98.06 (99) 23-20-33 which is located just 2 blocks from main square and it's very popular among Europeans. It was a movie site for " American Rhapsody" with actor Andy Garcia and Karen Blake. It's also a B & B and it's rates are slightly lower than those at Hotel Aragon. You could e-mail both of them at: [email protected]
It is a good idea to use Merida as a base to visit Mayan ruins such as Chichen Itza and Uxmal.
Playa del Carmen is wonderful! It has lot's of small hotels.Nice beaches and some delicious food. It's full of Europeans and has a bohemian atmosphere. Cozumel, across via ferry-boat, is great for scuba-diving or snorkeling. Tulum is not that far neither. Cancun is a blast! Nicest beaches in the world and great night life.
Should anyone need more information, please contact me to my e-mail.
Hope you enjoyed your trip, I love all the Yucatan!

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 08:46 AM
Saskia Bruning

Hi Ralph, <BR> <BR>Seems to me that you know a lot about Yucatan! Me and my boyfriend are visiting Playa del Carmen for a couple of days in a week. Could you recommend me some hotels/bungalows/cabanas on the beach. We can afford up till about US$40. <BR>Thank you for your help in advance! <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 07:48 PM
melissa jones

Ralph, you seem to know alot on the area. My husband and I want to experience the Day of the Dead Festivities can you recommend a particular place. Also, we wanted to backpack, camp and hangout in more rural (non-tourist) areas. A friend told me that backpacking and camping was an extremely bad idea in Mexico. Is this true? What has been your experiences? Thanks, Melissa

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 05:59 PM
Teresa

Go to Isla Mujeres. I don't know of any place I'd rather go in Mexicol. Very laid back, very low key, wonderful food, VERY inexpensive. The most beautiful beach I have seen anywhere.