Budget accommodations in Oaxaca

Old Oct 14th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget accommodations in Oaxaca

Retired Old Guy with 27 years of Mexican travel experience but fit & healthy looking for a budget place to stay.
Must be secure, clean, centrally located with private bath. WiFi a plus but not mandatory. Late January to mid February for 7 to 10 days. Hopefully under $50 US a night.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 05:54 AM

Hi Stewbear!

Under $50 US you have a lot of choice. I once stayed in a very simple but comfortable hotel, La Florida. It is very close to the Food and Flea market and just 5 minutes away walking to Oaxaca Cathedral.
However, next time I go I'll book the 'Trebol Hotel' (http://hoteltrebol.com.mx) because it is an exceptional location-one block off the main square, it is also beautiful and traditional. Just one detail, it has no restaurant, but why bother when you have hundreds of restaurants around!

Laurent
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Although I've never stayed here,I've seen good reviews of Las Mariposas http://www.hotellasmariposas.com/, which is easily within your budget.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both. Laurent your first choice must be great as it seems to be booked up for most of the Winter.
I'am considering the Florida & Fra's recommendation
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 12:59 PM

I've stayed at Hotel Posada la Casa de la Tia, located on Calle 5 de Mayo between Santo Domingo church and the Zocalo. Good solid budget hotel, clean, friendly, quiet, good central location, about $40 a night. Good hot water too, free wifi, restaurant for breakfast is good.

http://www.hotelposadalacasadelatia.com/
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Emd3. I sent them a e-mail checking availability.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 05:45 PM

I have traveled in MX as long as you have, and I am sure you know you sometimes have to be careful about the noise factor in the older hotels that are built around a central courtyard. I did not have problems with the noise at Hotel Posada la Casa de la Tia. But I did consider staying at Mariposa, the one Fra mentioned. I emailed them but the only room they had available was in the front of the courtyard area, where I had read reviews of lots of noise with people coming and going and serving breakfast in that area. If you end up there, I would read the reviews about where the louder rooms are and ask for a quiet room in back of the courtyard area if you can get it.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 05:52 PM

And btw, how exciting that you will be spending time in Oaxaca!! i have been there twice in the last few years and was very surprised how few gringos were there. We are headed to our place in Playa del Carmen, and then to Merida for Day of the Dead (called Hanal Pixan there) soon. Can't wait to get back down there. Please let us know how your trip goes!
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

It will have to be incredibly special to top Guanajuato where I spent a month last season.
My best friend in the world John, who passed 2 years ago, always raved about Oaxaca. A place we were always intended to go together along with our wives.
So this is a bit of a bitter sweet destination but knowing John's tremendous love of Oaxaca I am sure I will fall in love with it also.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Stewbear, I think you going to Oaxaca is a wonderful tribute to John.

I love Guanajuato too. And Patzquaro and Puela and Merida and Queretaro and Taxco and all the other wonderful colonial towns I have visited in MX. I have been to Oaxaca four times, 5 to 8 days each time.

Oaxaca has a nice central town, nice zocalo with wonderful cathedral, and very important history, even recent years with the teacher and workers justice movements. I will say that unfortunately the food in Oaxaca City is not what it once was. After the teacher riots in 2006, many of the really great restaurants closed down, as they could not take the lack of business that resulted from the publicity from the reaction of the ploice and federales and the deaths and violence. But there is still good food there.

What is somewhat unique about Oaxaca is that the towns out in the valley around the city have a similar vibe and craft focus ( where each village is known for a different craft) like the towns around Lake Patzquaro have. I hope you will not only enjoy the town but also get out into the valley towns. At my age and with my mobility issues, I enjoyed having a guide drive me around to those villages last time I was there. Linda Hanna is a very good guide, she knows many of the artists in the valley towns and is involved in getting grants for family artisans to keep their arts and crafts going and passed on instead of dying. I typically do not hire guides but our day with her was really worth it, she got us access to so many places we could not have gotten into on our own.

http://www.folkartfantasy.com/index.htm

http://oaxaca-chapulines.blogspot.mx...nda-hanna.html

See Monte Alban if archeology appeals to you. it is very different from the other ruins in MX.. And perhaps Hierve el Agua, which is phenomenal and totally unique.

I know you like a bargain, so I will share with you a great one for comida in Oaxaca City. For our 25 th anniversary we stayed at hotel Parador San Miguel. the restaurant there has an absolutely wonderful comida, for value and taste, it blew us away so much that we ate comida there almost every day. It is down the street behind the zocalo.

http://www.paradorsanmigueloaxaca.co...restaurant.htm

I very much enjoyed going to the Sunday market in Tlacolula on my last trip. It is large, is very lively, has great color, and the food is great. If you imbibe, you can also meet and taste many mescal producers (meaning families) of the Oaxaca valley towns who produce their own mescal. We took a collective van from the side of the Oaxaca baseball stadium to the Tlacolula market, and shared a taxi back to Oaxaca at the end of the day. some people combine a visit to the market at Tolucala with a visit to the Mitla ruins.

I used this youtube video from Oaxaca Video Guide to get to Tolucala:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I6lpOkx...%3DI6lpOkxRkok

Oaxaca Video Guide has many great videos on Oaxaca, you can get info on them at that link.

also I highly recommend getting a guide to see Santo Domingo. We really benefitted from the info we got from the guide. It was a lovely afternoon there. And a stroll down the chocolate street, Mina.

There used to be a poster in her 60s on this fodors forum named bixaorella who lives just outside of Oaxaca. she has a great blog on "Port in Any Storm" with wonderful photos, videos, and written pieces on life in and around Oaxaca. She is still active on that site, and her info is very very Goodall photo documentation is incredible.

http://www.fodors.com/community/profile/bixaorellana/

http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...ad=6168&page=1

Please let us know about our trip when you return!
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 06:59 PM

That should say colectivo van...

One thing that I will toss out there, just FYI. I went to the Abastos market in Oaxaca City last year. It is very large and intersting, like they sell live animals there, turkeys, etc, and it compares in a way to the Merced Market in Mexico City; this is where the locals from the surrounding area and Oaxaca city go to shop. My travel companion had a gold toned bracelet on. Not gold, just gold toned, it was smal, not conspicuous, and inexpensive. A young man went by quickly and tore it off her wrist. It was the only time I have ever experienced a theft like that in all of my 38 yrs of traveling in Mexico. I would go back to that market again, I just wish the man, whom I am sure was poor and trying to feed his family, had asked us for some pesos instead of taking the worthless bracelet. Like other places in MX there is a lot of poverty in Oaxaca, and the place I think is still hurting from the 2006 events and the general feeling that MX is not safe. The lovely people there really need our tourist dollars. It is a friendly city and valley. Maybe watch your wallet or whereever you keep your money if you go to that market.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 07:10 PM

Stewbear, you might like Merida for a future trip. Lots of culture, performances in different parks every night of the week (dance, traditional , singers, etc) in the Centro Historico. Wonderful colonial architecture and history and museums, and food, and Mayan ruins. Really friendly, and some retired expats there who are easy to meet in the cafes. just thought I'd toss that out...
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for great suggestions. Yes I am planning on probably a couple of days exploring Monte Alban sites, also the various Valley towns staying in the area for about 2 weeks. before heading out to Merida then on to Isla Holbox. Want to get as much of my Mexican Bucket list done before I'm in the Urn. Smile
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 07:32 AM

In Merida, there is a great little restaurant for comida called Margaritas. Comida is around 50 pesos and is very good. friendly service. Around 9 at night they put up a spit of pork at the street entrance and serve very good tacos aribe.
it is on Calle 62, between Calle 59 and Calle 61, just down the street from the Casa de las Artesinias, on same side of street.
At the corner of Calle 62 and Calle 59 is the Hotel Colonial Cafe which is very good for breakfast. I met some very nice ex-pat veterans your age there.
The concerts and dance performances at Santa Lucia park on Thursday nights was a highlight of my time in Merida last November.
I will be in Merida in two weeks. It will be my husband's first time there, can't wait to show him around. We will be watching the World Series at Boston sports bar and restaurant on the Paseo de Montejo.
My only experience with Isla Holbox was seeing it from the water when I attempted to go swimming with the whale sharks off the coast of Holbox a few years ago. It looked like a lovely island.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 10:15 AM

Also I just want to be sure you realize that Vivaaerobus flies direct from Oaxaca to CAncun now, and seats are about $50. Not sure of the routing of your trip but that may help. Vivaerobus sends out emails with specials on that route also.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Looking at Oaxacan Gated Community. Price & photos look good but not a single review. Anybody know anything? Thanks
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 07:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Stew:
You will love Oaxaca. I know you're a GTO guy, but Oaxaca is special. Holbox as well. Enjoy the Mezcal and the moles. My wife and I spent some 18 years traveling Mexico and we settled on San Miguel (over Oaxaca) as a place to live because its closer to the border. But Oaxaca is the best, we spent a month there every winter for number of years.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 08:17 AM

There are two reviews on HOMEAWAY for that apartment in the Oaxacan Gated Community:

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/reviews/p909102
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

EMD3 You are the best! I have (for now) deciding between this place & Hotel Posada la Casa de la Tia.
Both are in our price range, Tia a bit more & I am leaning toward it. The main reason the Gated Community looks good is the kitchenette.
Anyways thanks again.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 06:12 PM

You are welcome. If you go with Tia, ask for a room in the back. It is quieter back there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information