Search

Booking tours in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booking tours in Costa Rica

We're going to Costa Rica (Arenal, Monteverde, Manuel Antonio) in mid-January. Should we book our tours (ziplines, hanging bridges, nature hikes, for example) before to our trip? Or is it just as easy and economical to wait until we arrive? I would prefer to wait to be able to adjust for weather, etc.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 05:57 PM

The only thing I would book ahead of time is Eco Termales because it sells out. We usually just book everything else when we get there.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Good advice! What do you think about trasportation reservations, for example, Interbus? Do I need to make these ahead of time?
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 04:18 AM

I would make the Interbus reservations now imho. The vans aren't huge and January is a popular time, so it's possible if you wait til the last minute they could be sold out and you'd need to pay a private driver.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 06:57 AM

I totally agree with tully; book transportation ahead.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

I read on this site about anywherecostarica.com for transportation. Is this the same as Interbus? Thanks.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM

If you are like many of us, you will change your mind about what tours you'll want to take. Talking to other travelers, looking at the current weather and considering what you are up for really does tend to sway plans. Do your hotels offer tours? You can probably look on-line and see what will be available from your doorstep. If these are trips you are considering anyway, you might find it cheaper/easier to sign up at your hotel's tour desk. They typically have notebooks laying out describing the tours, any restrictions to consider, what you should bring, etc. Signing up the day before is typically fine but ask before hand. They can tell you what fills up fast, what can be arranged last minute and which ones require a minimum number to make it a go. Some trips leave several times per day so those can be more last minute. The early morning trips usually need to be arranged the day before.

Transportation should definitely be set up now. We even have a backup plan in mind just in case our driver doesn't show up. We've never had that happen, but it doesn't hurt to have a Plan B in mind. Getting around is easy in CR and you are going to popular destinations so you shouldn't have any big worries making arrangements. Do you know where to find Interbus (or whoever you plan to travel with) once you leave SJO? Many of these places are just a short cab or shuttle ride away and no big deal but it helps to be familiar ahead of time. Being tired and lugging bags in the heat can be kind of stressful. Also if you are landing early morning or late evening, services (except for cabs) could be limited. Sometimes you read about free shuttles but then find they are only offered at certain times of the day/year or have been discontinued.

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the confirmation. My preference is to wait and to make tour arrangements with the hotels. What sounds good reading about tours at home on the couch in December may not turn out too great in a driving rainstorm in Costa Rica.