Bogota - What it like (Como es)?

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bogota - What it like (Como es)?

I am looking into teaching certification programs abroad. I'm interested in combining is with Spanish language immersion so I'm looking at programs in Spanish speaking countries.

So far, I'm finding CELTA programs in Spain, Costa Rica, and Colombia, and Trinity TESOL programs in Spain and Uruguay. I loved Madrid and am tempted to go back but I also feel that it would be beneficial to go somewhere I haven't been.

The program in Colombia is in Bogota and I was just curious about people opinions of it. I would be there about a month or longer if I get an teaching position there. The program in Uruguay is in Montevideo.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Just thought I'd try again. Also, I'm female, in my late twenties and will be going alone if that makes a difference.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:15 AM

Hi Vita, you may find it worthwhile to post this on the Lonely Planet's South America forum, there have been several threads concerning Bogata recently.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Hi Vita,
Bogota is extremely dangerous. Just do a little research on the situation there and you'll quickly check out the programs in the other locations that you mentioned. Good luck.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 06:07 AM

Was in Bogota Aug '03-sad that it has this reputation as being so dangerous-the most stiking thing was how NO ONE came up to me begging for $ like in Cusco-there are very few AM tourists-which to me is very appealing-it is a cosmopolitan city & reminded me of some european cities I have visited-I also lived in Madrid & in Costa Rica & would be happy to answer more ques about both-Overall I loved Bogota-the National Museum was excellent-the streets are very clean-you will see guards with big guns at hotels & the like-When traveling in CA/SA I only speak Spanish & do not seek out other AM tourists to hang with-it is easy to blend in in Bogota...jealous of your upcoming journey! I learned Sp as an AFS exchange stud to CRica as a HS student-buena suerte!