Bogota

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 04:36 AM
James

Bogota

I am traveling to Bogota in January to meet my (hopefully) future wife. I will be staying in the northern section of Bogota. I have been somewhat nervous about traveling to this city but my (Colombian) fiancee insists I will be fine with her. The news (internet) reports make it so scary. please - advice on Bogota-... Thanks....

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Scottster

Colombia is on the list of very dangerous countries where the U.S. government has advised people not to go. See http://travel.state.gov and read the country description--"there is a greater danger of being kidnapped in Colombia than in any other country in the world." Why not have your fiancee visit you?

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 11:33 AM
susan

check out airsecurity.com.hotspots/hotspots.asp

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Rahul

I think it is ridiculous that people are scaring you about Bogota. How many people have been killed by bombs in Bogota this year vs. safe places like NY and DC? Bogota is as nice as ever thanks to excellent city government. There was an article in the New York Times on it a few months ago. Colombians are classy, gracious people and you should have a great time. However, if you are too scared to even step in your fiancee's country, maybe you should marry someone from Iowa instead.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 06:49 PM
elliott norris

have been to bogota several times. north is the safest wealthiest and has most things to do.

your fiancee can meet you at the airport. that is the best bet. other wise you can take a taxi. you register with the stand at the airport.

it is better to fly in during the day depending on your gateway from the us.

the forte capital is a beautiful hotel near the airport. $75/nite, they pick you up in a van, if at nite it has an armed guard.

there are very few armed guards in el dorado airport which means it is safe.

as in any big city , be aware. do not speak to anyone on the street unless you start the conversation. there are scam artists in every city.

i love colombia and its people.

it sounds like you have not met your fiancee yet. that is a mistake.

i have my novia here now. she is from b/q. take this advice- if you know someone less than a year and you marry them, you deserve what you get.

buena suerte

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 07:50 AM
Mark

I visited Bogota in 1997, and 1998 also in search of a wife. I met and married my wife in Bogota. As a policeman, I had fully researched the warnings and spoke with several people who had also traveled there. Being used to carrying a firearm, I was very apprehensive, not being allowed to possess even one bullet by Colombiam law in Bogota. Regardless, my desire to find a decent and unspoiled woman negated my fears. Three trips to Bogota were completely uneventful. The people, (unlike big cities in the U.S.), are very friendly and helpful. And even the beautiful women talk to you and look back!...As with any big city in the World, you must be aware of your surroundings. Yes, there are scam artists, criminals, etc., Howvever, I felt a hundred times safer with my wife there than I would in Philadelphia or New York City. While there I only traveled to one small town outside of Bogota, (La Calera), it was a very beautiful place, however, I learned later that it was not a wise thing to do as the rebel army sometimes would be seen in these country towns. The Northern section of the City is the safest, (the Colombian Army has a installation there new Hotel Miranda), so just follow your future wife's advise and stick close to her.