Big Problems at Tulemar??

Old May 29th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Problems at Tulemar??

Because of all the favorable comments on this forum we have booked the top floor of the Mot Mot Villa at Tulemar for the MA portion of our family trip in August. Today I noticed that all of the most recent reviews of Tulemar & Mot Mot in particular are HORRIBLE! So it is not just one disgruntled traveler. It sounds like the villas are not being maintained. Has anyone on this forum actually STAYED there recently? When I went back and researched this forum it appeared that the people recommending Tulemar recently didn't actually stay there they were just sharing word of mouth. Right now I wonder if I should change hotels.
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Geesch! I just reread my post and realized it sounds like I'm accusing people on this post of misleading me. I apologize, I did not mean for it to sound that way. I have been using the Fodors forums in planning trips for the past 12 years and the helpful information I have received has been immeasurable! I'm just panicing at this point. Sorry!
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Hi!! I just talk to Alonso at Tulemar...he is going to try to contact you tomorrow...or can you be so kind to e-mail him!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

I have only communicated with Randall at Tulemar. Is there a different email for Alonso?
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:57 PM

We were there in February and it was, for the most part, fine. We were in the older bungalows and they were bigger and better than we anticipated--even without a balcony. We went there for the beach, not the room. It's one of the few places in CR where a couple can enter the water together and not worry about bags, books, etc. being stolen For about $300 a night, many people expect more, but we got just what we wanted. It was the unacceptable rudeness at the restuarant on our last night that will keep us from returning. Except for that incident, everyone was very nice and eager to make sure we experienced what we wanted.

Davy
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:02 PM

If you e mail Randall ask him to give the mail to Alonso...sorry but i have no idea about e-mail addrs. in Tulemar!!

Alonso I beleive is the person in chrage for reservations!!

Check the propertie next door..tulemar.net

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:20 AM

We stayed on the top floor of Mot Mot last year...we LOVED it! I can't imagine anyone having a problem with the Mot Mot. Amazing views, a huge, incredible wrap around porch with a hammock and furniture to lounge on. Monkeys on your porch every morning around 6am. Very close to the pool/breakfast area, and a quick shuttle down to the beach area. I highly recommend it!!
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

I got a reply back from Alonso and he said the hotel manager and the villa owner are aware of the problems and it sounds like they are addressing them. I was glad to hear that.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Hi, I'm bumping this because we're considering the Mot-Mot and would love to get some feedback from anyone who's stayed there recently.

Thanks!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 08:37 AM

One of our favorite spots. The private beach is beautiful. I would recommend it in a heartbeat.

Only one complaint over the years, from an impossible customer that hated everything, everywhere.

This was over something that was not the hotel's fault. There was no water in the entire area for two days, and the hotel's reserve tanks ran out.

These guests were given the option of leaving after the first night, and receiving a full refund. They opted to stay the entire three days, and had water by the last day.

The management comped them a dinner and all of their room service. The maids hauled water to their room daily so that they could flush the toilets.

These guests complained upon their return, and still sought a full refund. I think that hotel did a great job in difficult circumstances.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel Professional)
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:57 AM

We are a family of 5 and I was quoted $725/night. That seemed outrageous. Does this sound accurate? We will be there in February, the peak season, but it still seemed very high.

Most of the reviews I have read have been very good.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 10:00 AM

$725 is OUTRAGEOUS. I assume that's for 2 separate bungalows...at least I hope so!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

We stayed at Mot-Mot last month. I can't imagine that the price you were quoted is correct. I think we paid around $350/nt for 4 of us. Mot-Mot was great. You can skip to the middle of my trip report to hear about our stay there. Just click on my screen name and look for my post titled Costa Rica Trip Report.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Thanks AG, glad to hear that things have improved.

Is a car necessary if we stay at Tulemar? The only places we want to go are on a few tours (ATV, zipline) and to restaurants at night.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

CathyF--I should clarify that we only had the TOP floor of Mot-Mot so the amount you were quoted was probably for both the top and bottom floors.

nina--Cars aren't necessary because taxis are pretty cheap. I think it was about $6 everywhere we went (to MA Park and a couple of restaurants).However,we flew in and out of Quepos and the shuttle fare to and from the airport was $20 each way.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 04:37 AM

Thanks ag, You're helping me out a lot here!

How was the trundle bed in Mot-Mot? My 15 year old will have to sleep on it, is it big enough (he's 5'9")? What about the other beds, were they comfy? I read some reviews that said they were old, sagging mattresses.

I may rent a car if it's really only a three hour drive, that's nothing.

If you do tours in MA will they pick you up at the hotel?

I read your review, it had lots of great information, thanks!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Nina, all the beds were fine, even the trundle. My son is 6'3" and slept on it. But then again, he can sleep ANYWHERE!
All of our tours picked us up and returned us to our hotel.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Thanks so much ag, I can't tell you how much your posts are helping me!

Can you make any recommendations for good restaurants near Tulemar, or any tips in general for our stay there?

Any tours that were really good or any we shouldn't bother with?

I appreciate your help, Nina
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:59 AM

Where is the TV in Mot Mot..I know it shouldn't matter, but the kids will want to sleep where the box is. Oy vey.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

The tv is in the bedroom but there aren't many channels available and it doesn't get very good reception.There is a VCR and I noticed there were tapes at the reception desk but we didn't watch any.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -