best way to phone home

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Mitch

best way to phone home

Last time I was in Mexico (Cozumel) I called home and and the bill was almost 60 US. Is there a way to phone home without it costing more than the trip?

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Jean Valjean

Never call from your hotel room.

Buy a "Ladatel" phone card (they are available everywhere) and call from a public phone. They are usually very reliable.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Mitch

Thank you for your reply thats great info

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Marie

The Ladatel cards have to be used on their phones, (in every hotel) buy a $10 or $20 one which will last your trip for quick check ins at home.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Robert

Ladatel is an excellent recommendation-the calls to the US are about 10pesos per minute. Another option is the ATT "Direct" service, if you have an ATT card. You call an 800 and the call goes on your card--you can find details at their website.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Wilma

I have a Sprint card from Costco. Before leaving the US, call the info number on the card and ask for the access number in Mexico. In Mexico, dial the access number they gave you and from there you can make your US call, which is very inexpensive. I even called home to get my messages.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 06:04 AM
mare

just returned from Puerta Vallarta yesterday--best way to phone home is with your cell phone. Just dial 00-1-area code and number. It's 99cents a minute to the us

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Robert

Cell phone is the best way--if it works in the area of Mexico you are in. I currently use Sprint and it will not work in many areas of Mexico--only the major cities.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Laurie

Going to Acapulco soon - this is a good question. Where do you buy the Latadel card? Is this similar to AT&T, Sprint, etc in the US? Can it be used in Acapulco? Thanks.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Jean Valjean

Laurie:

Ladatel cards can be bought almost anywhere. Try your hotel tobacco shop, convenience stores or supermarkets. They come in 30, 50 and 100 pesos. If you are calling to the US, the 100 pesos card is your best bet. You'll find Ladatel phones everywhere, and they usually work very well.

Ladatel cards are prepaid phone cards, the kind that comes with a chip.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 10:02 AM
Christa

Also have to agree with the Ladatel. When I was in PV, bought one at a small grocery store. I also had to call home direct, one day,without a phone card, because of an urgent matter. When the phone bill came, it cost me $90.00 Canadian for about 15-20 minute phone call! Yikes!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 01:24 PM
d motl

We bought a 600 domestic minute prepaid AT&T card at Sams Club for $18.
This card was good for 120 minutes of call time from Mexico using Ladatel public phones. You need to call the customer service number on the back of the card before you leave to obtain the 800- number you will use while in mexico to connect to the USA