Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Best time to buy airfare for October honeymoon to CR?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been planning a honeymoon to CR (from Newark airport to San Jose airport) for October 16-October 27...and have not yet bought airfare. I got the impression from various travelers that the best airfare deals are usually within 2 months of travel...so I waited...but now it seems that the airfare is going up. Now I'm nervous that I shouldn't have waited so long. What should I do? Did I wait too long...should I wait longer...is it going to get worse? Please help...thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Unfortunately, there is just no way you can tell. It's frustrating as heck. . .sometimes we luck out, sometimes we don't. I just got through purchasing tickets (Continental) to CR for spring break and had to pay over $800 per ticket from Amarillo, Texas. 2 weeks ago the tickets were about $650. I knew they wouldn't come down any, but piddled around and up they went. I don't think they'll come back down.

Is it outrageous? If not, then I think I'd just get it booked and not worry too much about it. A few times, we've been able to plan a trip around a great airfare find. . .but THAT doesn't usually work out for people unless they have no daily commitments!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Try looking at TACA. I just got two tix from Chicago to San Jose for $420 each for a November trip. Look for thier "from US" specials.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 12:27 AM

Good for you--that's a great deal! Never flown TACA--must try it sometime.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the ideas so far. i checked out taca...unfortunately they don't fly out of newark. delta had tickets recently for $412 but they were gone in a day...and i didn't jump on them quick enough...i am so mad at myself...ugh!
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

does anyone else have any thoughts on this? the airfare right now is $627...is there any hope of that going down...or is this the norm at this time of year? it just seems expensive for their "off season"...?
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:24 PM

mishi,
No one can predict what the airlines are going to do with airfares. There are a lot of factors that influence that market. However, I think it is safe to say that the really low (what we are used to seeing occasionally) fares may be a thing of the past, considering the price of fuel.

Just recently, we snatched up tickets to Puerto Rico (and our daughter grabbed tickets for a couple of different dates to come FROM Puerto Rico) because there was a very good sale for travel between now and December 13--if you booked by midnight August 16. When something like that comes along, we try to schedule something. You just never know who is going to advertise what, and when, and why.

In trying to schedule specific dates, like your October trip, you just have to hope for the best. Considering what we have been paying lately (all through the summer) for Costa Rica and Puerto Rico and some other Caribbean destinations, it seems to be "in line"--not a bargain, but not unreasonable either.

I'm one of those who feels lucky to happen onto a great deal, but I'll go ahead and book if a fare seems reasonable--always out of fear that it will get worse before it gets better!
I hate it when I wait and it gets worse!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:06 PM

mishi - try ticotravel.com. I purchased tickets for March 2007 a month ago or so, and although they were a lot more than I paid the last time, they were the cheapest I was able to find.

Good luck!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the tip seawitch1! i checked it out but they have nothing under $600+...bummer...