Best binoculars for the rainforest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are leaving in a few weeks for Costa Rica and we'll be spending quite a bit of time in the rainforest scoping out the flora and fauna. I'm thinking about buying a pair of binoculars for my husband, but I'm confused by which resolution is best, if waterproof binoculars are a must, and if I really need image stabilization. I only want to spend around $250 and I'm leaning towards the Canon 8x25 IS Image Stabilized Binocular.

Does any one have any advice on which binoculars are best when touring the rainforest?

TIA!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:09 PM

I think, for rainforests, you definitely want waterproof, nitrogen filled, and armored. I also think you may want to look at something bigger than a x25, which (in my experience) is too small to let enough light in for rainforest environments, especially when you're looking for birds or other wildlife during the prime early morning and dusk hours. I absolutely LOVE my Celestron Noble 8x32s, shown here in a slightly updated version:

http://www.celestron.com/c2/product.php?ProdID=177

Celestron has an amazing no fault life-long warranty and another advantage of the Noble is it will focus within 3 or 4 feet so is also wonderful for bug and butterfly watching. If you do a google search I think you'll be able to beat the price ($300) on the Celestron site. Also, here's the text of a previous posting of mine when someone was interested in investing less:

Here's a link to a great pair of binoculars:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...&langId=-1

(If the whole address isn't highlighted, you'll have to copy and paste.)

At under $50 they are an incredible deal for what you get: Roof BAK-4 prism, long eye relief, fully coated optics, waterproof, and rubber armored. They are a medium-sized binocular. In my experience the really small binoculars, even expensive ones, are not very useful in low-light situations which is what I use mine for 90% of the time (forests, often at dawn or dusk). Also, many of us find anything more than 8 power difficult to hold still enough for easy low light viewing.

If you decide at some point you want a phenomenal pair of binoculars, consider Celestron Noble PC 8x32s. A goodThe list price is around $300. They let in more light than the Barskas and you can focus in as close as 3-4 feet with them, which is great if you love bugs and butterflies. Happy trails!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Thank you travel_chick for posting this question. And a big thank you to hopefulist for such a great answer! I have also been looking for a better-quality pair of travel binoculars.

Sharon
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Glad to help. Please keep me posted if you find a good price on the Celestron Nobles. Happy trails...
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 01:11 PM

You don't need image stabilization. Don't go with anything more than 8x magnification. And you want the most 'light gathering' [brightness] you can get.

The comments above about waterproof etc are very good.

Tropical forests are generally dark, but wonderful...., places.

Do you have a local birding store, or bird watching club? The best way is to get personal suggestions from users and actually try out the optics yourself.

You will probably find you see much of your wildlife in more open areas, grounds of lodges etc -and don't forget to get out there first thing in the morning!

cheers

Jerry
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:26 PM

HEY! Just found a great sale price on Celestron Noble 8x32s if anyone's interested:

http://www.adorama.com/CN832N.html

Happy trails!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM

The wife and I are very happy with our Nikon Monarch ATB 8X42 for $289. When we spent time last feb at a couple birding lodges we realized our smaller bins were just not serving us well after using some 8 X 42 loaners with a harness. The Monarchs are bright, waterproof, and sturdy but not heavy and focus as close as 8 ft. I also highly suggest a Stokes bins harness, $19. The harness keeps the weight off the neck and keeps them from swinging around when you walk.