Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Besides the resorts where can we best learn some of the culture and history of Costa Rica?

Search

Besides the resorts where can we best learn some of the culture and history of Costa Rica?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Costa Rica for 10 days. Not a lot of time and most time will be in Arenal and the Osa Peninsula at Bosque del Cabo.

As a history, we bring a niece or nephew on a trip every year. This is our 6th trip. the object of the trip is to have fun but also to learn something of the culture of the places we visit. Can this be incorporated into this trip other than talking to local guides? IN other trips we have learned a lot simply by staying in B&B's or eating at local restaurants. We will have one day in San Jose so perhaps a visit to museums?

Don't get me wrong, I know that a 10 day trip will in no way impart on us the rich culture of any country, but I am hoping for something that will make an impression especially on my nephew.

On previous trips we learned a lot about living under communism and living conditions in the Czech Republic, Nazism and concentration camps in Austria with survivors, rural life in Spain, etc.

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:20 AM

In San Jose, maybe the Gold Museum, Jade Museum, or National Theater?
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

In re-reading my question, I guess I should have made it clear that we don't expect the resorts to give us the culture and history of Costa Rica.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:24 AM

I found that on my trip to CR last year, staying with a family who ran a b&b was a fabulous way to get to really know some of the culture. My kids(older)played UNO with their young children. The young boy was learning English in school and my sons helped him and talked a lot about his school, etc. Our meals were beautifully prepared by the owners and we would sit together and talk alot and we learned a tremendous amount first hand by being with them.

Our first stop on our trip was one of the real highlights in terms of experiencing the culture of CR. We stayed at La Carolina Lodge and it was a complete immersion into the CR culture like I never would have imagined.

We also brought with us on our trip lots and lots of assorted school supplies and while driving around one day we pulled over and walked up to an open aired classroom of young school children and their teachers and gave out all of the supplies. Another random experience was stumbling on a rodeo coming down a mountain. Stopping there we learned a lot about the culture!

So our approach is to try and learn about the people and the culture through experienceing it. I hope this helps. Enjoy - CR is fabulous.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Juldie: Thanks for the feedback. School supplies is a great idea, I think someone else also suggested this on this board.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 08:31 PM

I think it will depend on where you are staying. For instance in Puerto Viejo you can easily visit the Bri-Bri indians. Different areas may have other indigenous tribes. You may want to check with your hotel for some suggestions.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:55 AM

try Montevideo. our quaker school has a "sister" school there and the senior class goes each year. i'm not really sure what's there, but the coffee is excellent!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:06 AM

I think Melissa meant Monteverde, right?
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Good advice, thanks to all of you. Looks like we should rent a car for sure.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:21 AM

During a trip about 6 years ago, I recall an informative and nicely put together exhibit on the the history and culture of Costa Rica at the Museo Nacional in San Jose. I'm not sure if it was a temporary or permanent display, but it certainly provided some insight into how Costa Rica has come to be what it is. The web site for the museum is:
http://www.museocostarica.go.cr/inde...amp;lang=en_en
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:42 AM

yes, monteverde! thank you!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

tunadoc: I am not sure that exhibit will be there but the website you gave is great and I can check what's showing at the museum when we get closer to our travel date. Thanks.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:21 PM

Your question is one of the best I ever found in this forums!!

When I was a kid...my grandmothers house was very close to the Archeological Museum in San Jose...I use to spend hours at each display...the history of my country...the way my good ancestors use to live ...everything is there in just a few square meters..

At the entrance is a big map of Costa Rica with the geographical division and Political division as well...there you will see the different areas where our main indians tribes use to live!! You will admire some of the magnificient indians handicrafts...

I can close my eyes and see the beauty inside of those gallerys...so much history...so much of my people...somenthing that most people coming to Costa Rica do not spend any time searching...we are not just beaches...rivers...volcanos...we are a whole culture...thank you for asking..how we are...

Some times is not easy to understand a group of people...some times only natives will understand themselves...

We are simple people...with a lot of love for our country...thanks to our educational system we can said...we live in a FREE country...country of dreams ...country of hopes...country for every body!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:25 PM

Luis is right. it seems the vast majority of tourists come for the natural wonders of Cr and /or are content to stay at their resorts or hotels and don't really interact with too many locals except tour guides, hotel staff etc.

A few years ago, a Tico friend took me to a place called something like the Museo de Cultura Indigena in the Sarapiqui area. it was interesting and informative. Since then, I have heard little or nothing about this museum.

Another place I recommend is the Latin American Art Museum in Sabana Park - San Jose. You've received other good ideas about SJ museums.

Ty to learn at least some basic phrases in Spanish, if you don't already know some. Eat at local sodas. Ride the public buses. Go to small grocery stores supermarkets - or even shopping malls. Spend some time waiting in line at a bank... Thats where you'll find locals. You can try attending local church services.
Pura vida
raquel
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:21 AM

The place Raquel mentioned in the Sarapiqui area is interesting and you could do a day trip over there from Arenal. I too don't hear much about it.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:45 AM

roadadvisor:

Thanks for the local information.

My wife and I are planning to spend some time in Costa Rica and look forward to seeing the local way of life.

We hope to arrive in San Jose on January 15 and leave on March 15. From San Jose we will take a few days to Tortuguero then back to SJ. Our next venture will be SJ to Monteverde, Manuel Antonio and Drake Bay then to SJ.

We will have a long period in SJ and from there want to take some day trips.

Many years ago we spent two weeks in Costa Rica, one in San Jose and one at Tamarindo where we enjoyed a Rodeo in the nearby town and the wonderful xylaphone which seemed to be played all over.

We were impressed with the general level of education, the friendly and welcoming people as well as the beautiful country.

In SJ I enjoyed the public market with all the different stalls. I especially enjoyed eating lagostina.

I would appreciate any comments for day trips to see typical folk dancing, not the staged Hollywood style performances.

Other local celebrations and exhibits would be welcome as well.

While we look forward to seeing and photographing animals and birds, we would like to know about those unadvertised sites and activities that the Ticos enjoy day by day.

Thanks for any help.

Woodie
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Thank you Woodie , for giving me the opportunity to express my humble opinion!!

During the months you are planning your visit to my country...is dry season...incredible mornings...great afternoon and some of the greatest sunsets...just to see down almost anywhere with a good friend...and a good cup of coffee...and let your self be taken by the beauty of life!!

It is a small Museum in Tortuguero...also local people from Tortuguero are great people...they know about limitations... if you have a chance talk to them...most of them speak "English"...

Please check www.museosdelbancocentral.org
(site for Pre-Columbian Gold Museum)
Second largest collection of Pre-Columbian gold artifacts in Latin America...2,000 pieces open 10 a.m to 5p.m Tues-Sun

Hopefully while you are visiting us...you will have a chance to visit the International Art and Music Festival...is held every March...sorry I do not have the exact dates...phone number for the festival is (506) 233-6441

Museo de Arte Costarricense...located at the old International Airport La Sabana..

Also The National Youth Symphony (506) 236-6669 They play starting in March every year...they play at Melico Salazar...very close to Hotel Costa Rica...

Of course a visit to the Central MArket...and have a good old Gallo Pinto...I am hungry now!!

If you have a chance is a little place call Caballo Blanco (white horse) in the road to Liberia...at the entrance of Sardinal the road to take you to Monteverde...they have the BEST and FRESH Langostinos!! If you see a old costarican looking at you and your Langostinos...that will be me...jejejeje...I just love Langostinos...we used to drag them out of the lake in Cachi...out of 3,000 of them we got about 1/2 pound of meat...but was a lot of fun...lets go Woodie...now I want a go!!!

And of course...I hope you will enjoy a lot of good CASADOS...the fun about casados...some times is not the flavor...is the people around you...so many nice hungry people...with a great sense of humor!! (hungry in a good way!!)

Thank you again Woodie...have a nice stay in my country...

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

roadadvisor: Thank you for the good information. We will be in San Jose only 1 1/2 days but we will do the museums you suggested.

Raquelz & Suzie2. Any other side trips from Arenal that we could make to see more local culture?

A visit to sodas is a must as we like to eat locally rather than in tourist restaurants.

My nephew is learning a few phrases in Spanish from his mother. Unfortunately, I never adapt well to languages even with my phrase book. My husband speaks French and English so we usually get around with sign language and our phrase book. Never had any trouble communicating on our trips yet.

We find people respond when you show an interest in learning about their country and customs rather than wanting everything to be like home. That is why we take these trips when our nieces and nephews are young. To try to impress upon them that it is a big world and we are only a very small part.

Any suggestions on how to contact local drivers in the Arenal area or from San Jose to Lost Iguana? I see many discussions on this forum about drivers but not how to contact anyone.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:49 PM

sylvia, we had our hotels hire drivers for us before we went. The Lost Iguana one was our favorite of the trip. Also, if you post a question asking for driver recs, I think you'll get a lot of suggestions.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:25 PM

sylviam,

Re drivers - you might as well start right here - with Luis (Roadadvisor) He's one. His email is in his posts.

I have never used him, so have no personal experience. However, from what I read, he is very knowledgeable and experienced about the roads etc. and seems helpful. He also speaks English.

There is also contact info for others - Leo comes to mind, that others have recommended. Try searching

raquel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -