Belize Itinerary Help

May 9th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Belize Itinerary Help

I've enjoyed learning about Belize through this site. My 12-year-old son and I are traveling to Belize for 7 nights at the end of June. Flying into Belize City on 6/22. The last 4 nights of our trip are set, 6/25-6/29 on Caye Caulker. I"m trying to decide where to stay the first 3 nights.

We love the water, beach, and snorkeling. We need to stay away from lots of walking and hiking as my son is recovering from some pretty major hip surgeries the last 2 years. He's content to stay on CC for all 7 days, but I wouldn't mind seeing something else if it makes sense. I'm looking at Tranquility Bay Resort as a possibility? The jungle/rainforest areas may not make sense for him with all of the walking unless there is something that doesn't require as much ... some of the cave tours look great, if not too much hiking walking is involved. Thanks so very much. -Kim
May 9th, 2018, 09:56 PM

Consider duPlooy's Jungle Lodge if jungle is interesting to you - the grounds are really beautiful and there's a canopy-level side walk attached to the restaurant with birds and kinkajous coming there to feed. duPlooy's Jungle Lodge | Belize Vacations | Belize All Inclusive Vacation Packages

The Belize Zoo and the Green Iguana Project would be fun with kids and Barton Creek Cave is a canoe trip, not much walking.

We really enjoy Tranquility Bay - snorkeling from shore is a bonus and the beach is nice there.

My photos with blog links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - there are Tranquility Bay photos in the 2012, 2016, and 2018 collections (plus the zoo, iguana project, Barton Creek, and duPlooy's in 2018), and Caye Caulker in the 2009, 2014, 2015, and 2018 collections. Happy trails!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
May 9th, 2018, 10:52 PM

I love duPlooys, but the stairs and hill slope could be a problem for his hips. I would find a lodge on more level ground and a kinder slope down to the river or a pool, instead of river swimming. Or stay in a hotel near San Ignacio town one one level with a pool, for the swimming exercise, which I assume he requires or is good for him. Easy trips for him are Barton Creek cave canoe, Xunantunich site. Cayo is hilly.
May 10th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful ladies, thanks so much. He's so excited to snorkel as he hasn't been on a vacation in 2 years because of his surgeries. So we opted for the first part of our trip at Tranquility Bay. He loved the idea of being able to just walk out and snorkel. I have a feeling we will go back to Belize, we've never been before and there's so much there. Such a quick easy flight from Houston. Many thanks!
May 10th, 2018, 09:45 AM

Yes, flight is only about two hours! If you get a chance, don't miss snorkeling at Hol Chan. It's beautiful with lots of tropical fish, sea turtles, and big rays. It's a short boat trip out. They usually combine it with Shark Ray Alley which he would probably enjoy too.
May 11th, 2018, 11:47 AM

After snorkeling around the coral out from the dock, consider walking north on the beach to a place where they tie boats up, not far. When I snorkeled out from there I saw many of the things on my list in my review, below. The octopus is under the dock.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...ize_Cayes.html

Already looking forward to your trip report!

Search this Thread