Search

Been to a Spanish Language?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 03:01 PM
erika

Been to a Spanish Language?

have you been to a Spanish language school in Mexico, Guatamal, Belize, or Costa Rica? What was your experience?

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 03:20 PM
amy

Erika, <BR> My 25 year-old-daughter is attending the Costan Rican Language Academy in San Jose as we speak, and she's absolutely loving it. She researched various language schools on the net and found this particular one to be to her liking (in addition to Spanish language classes they offered cooking and dancing classes). The school found a wonderful family for her to live with, and she's taking intensive Spanish lessons four days a week and traveling over the weekends. I don't know the name of the website, but I'm sure you can find it--at the site, there is a long list of ex-students who you can e-mail. My daughter e-mailed about 20 students before she left, and they all raved about the school. Good Luck

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 10:50 AM
Diane

My 22-year old daughter did a program in Heredia (Costa Rica) in Summer '99. She found it to be such a fabulous experience, she's now back down there with a friend, volunteering at a school and substitute teaching (pre-K through HS). (We gave her airfare and some cash as a graduation present.) She expects to come back this Christmas totally bilingual. I expect my son will have to complete a language requirement for his college degree, and we will probably try to do so by sending him to a program in Costa Rica. The key to the best language learning experience is to do a home-stay. Holly said that people who stayed with their college friends in the hotel next to the school missed out on the best part of the experience.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 09:34 PM
xxx

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 08:48 AM
Dave

Hi- I have been traveling to Mexico several times a year for the last three years. Among other things I have been to three language schools. #1 Cuernavaca Language School in Cuernavaca, #2 Instituto del Sol in Saltillo, and #3 Becari in Oaxaca. I have like all three- but Becari is by far the best. It is cheaper, you learn more, and as far as I am concerned Oaxaca is one of the most interesting places on the planet. I am going for a third time this year shortly. Becari has a web site. Good luck!

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 09:06 AM
erika

Thanks, Oaxaca is my first choice of cities. Has anyone been to a school in Guatamala or Belize?

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 02:57 PM
Diane

I believe the primary language in Belize is English. I think you'd be better of doing language school where Spanish is the primary language!