Azulik in Tulum

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Azulik in Tulum

I just returned yesterday from a week's stay at Azulik. I cannot adequately express how terrific this place it. I have often expressed high regard for the neighboring Cabanas Copal, after having stayed there on three previous trips. While Copal will always have a special place in my heart... well, Azulik was near perfection. The villas, themselves are outstanding. I was assigned to #10, which sat high on the edge of a cliff overlooking the sea and was only a few steps from a great beach. But here's the thing... you hardly can drag yourself away from your deck to venture down to the beach. The back deck of each villa is well equipped with a very comfortable hammock, two lounge chairs, a wide swing, and a nice size outdoor bath tub on the edge of the cliff. The original five units have tiled outdoor tubs. All the others, I believe, have tubs carved from tree trunks. Many of the villas had rocking chairs made of bent tree limbs, but these were all replaced this week by wooden lounge-type chairs. I spent many hours each day and night, just sitting in the hammock or chair and staring out to sea, sipping my cerveza, reading a little, napping a lot. With that strong sea breeze blowing day and night- at just the perfect temperature, you are unbelievably comfortable. The outdoor tubs, with hot and cold running water, are also a great place to relax with a book, a glass of wine, or a lover!
Inside, the villa is very large, with an excellent, orthopedic King size bed, crowned with a mosquito net, though, with the breeze, you don't need the net because I never saw any bugs of any kind. There is also a queen size day bed, suspended from ropes from the high, thatched Palapa roofed ceiling. There is a good sized closet with a large shelf, two bed side tables, a larger table with two chairs, a lavatory with cold water sink, two shelves for storing toiletries, etc, and another, indoor, bathtub, also carved from a tree trunk. The indoor tub also has a hand held shower attachment. They provide plenty of towels and wash cloths, as well as soap, shampoo, and lots of candles and matches. The units also have beautiful hardwood floors. There are two wide doors that open up to the deck and sea, that allow a great breeze inside the unit. There is another window on the side of the unit that opens to allow that great breeze to flow over the bed at night. If you can pry yourself away from your villa, you will find that the beach on the south side of Azulik is one of the best in the area. Clean soft sand slopes down into the surf and provides a smooth soft, sandy bottom to wade out into the sea.
I found the staff at Azulik to be professional, but extremely friendly and accomodating. From the ladies in Reception, to maintenance guys, to the house keepers, to the restaurant and room service staff, I have never seen such a warm, sweet group of people. They all greeted me warmly each time we passed and they all seemed to really want to you have a wonderful stay. Each time I passed through reception, the ladies inquired if there was anything that I needed. Room service brought my breakfast / pot of tea each morning promptly at 8:00. I have seldom been so well attended in my many years of travel.
Copal restaurant continues to be outstanding. I especially love the fish dishes.
I met many couples from all over the states who were just downright giddy with their experience- dreading the day they would have to return home.
Azulik, like Copal, markets itself as "clothing optional" but do not mistake that to mean that this is something like Hedo or other 'swinger' type places. It just means that you can be comfortable dressed in as little as you wish. Many people were nude/topless on the decks of the their villas or in the outdoor tubs, and there was a little bit of nudity and toplessness on the beach, but not nearly so much as you might expect. This should not be an issue to encourage/discourage you one way or the other.
I had the opportunity to meet a few couples who were staying elsewhere but had seen Azulik from the beach. I invited them up for a tour of my villa. They were very impressed and each left vowing to book at Azukik when next they return. It will be the best decision they ever made. I'd put Azulik up against most any luxury hotel in the world, and I've stayed at more than a few.