Ayacucho, Peru- Semana Santa

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:32 AM
emd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ayacucho, Peru- Semana Santa

Has anyone been to Ayacucho for Semana Santa? Or just gone to Ayacucho?

I understand this festival runs from the Friday before Palm Sunday thru Easter Monday (10 days). And I have read that Ayacucho is a lovely colonial town, perhaps 2nd to Cuzco

I am planning a 1st trip to Peru w/my 18 yr old son for 10 days in April, leading up to Easter Sunday. I am considering flying from Lima to Ayacucho right after we fly in to Lima. Then back to Lima and fly to Cuzco and the Sacred Valley and MP (w/the one day Inca trail hike).

I am trying to decide btwn. Ayacucho at the start of the trip, or the Amazon (probably Puerto Mald. area due to short time available) at the end after the Sacred Valley/MP. I don't think there is enough time to do both of these.

Any insight will be appreciated.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM

If you do Cusco/MP/Puerto Maldonado, everything will be in a compact area. Puerto Maldonado is about a 30-minute flight from Cusco, so you'd be minimizing your travel time within Peru.

I fell in love with Ayacucho the first time I went, though. It wasn't during Semana Santa, but even without it being a festival time, it was very colorful and traditional and seemed almost more "authentic" than Cusco to me. Cusco is great, but it sees so many visitors that that detracts a little bit from it.

If you're going to do MP, you have to pass through Cusco anyway. You might as well spend some time there. There is much to see and do.

If you want a real contrast during your 10 days, the Andes and the Amazon would give that to you.

No matter what you decide to do, make reservations early. Semana Santa is a big travel time for Peruvians too, and hotels fill up.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM
emd
Original Poster

Thanks for the good info and advice, Jeff. I have a feeling we will love Ayachuco also. My favorite towns in all of Mexico are the colonial towns like Peubla- friendly, compact, lovely. Ayachuco sounds like that.

I've been checking flights and other info today and I am thinking maybe we might be able to fit in Ayacucho and Amazon w/the trip.

What do you think of this itinerary. It is a a lot of travel, but this is the last trip for son and me before he goes off for college, and we are both good travelers:

Tues. 3/31: Fly 8:15p DCA to JFK, 11:30p to 6:30a to Lima (sleep on plane).

Wed. 4/1 a.m. get flight Lima to Puerto Maldanado, get to lodge (decide which one)

Wed. nite 4/1 and Thurs nite 4/2: in Amazon

Fri, 4/3: Flight to Cuzco from Puerto M.

Fri, 4/3, Sat. 4/4, Sun. 4/5 Cuzco and Sacred Valley (not Olant.)

Mon, 4/5: One day hike to MP w/guided group; overnight in Agua C.

Tues., 4/6: MP early a.m.; later in afternoon/overnite in Olant.

Wed., 4/7: Olant., then to Cuzco.

Thurs., 4/8: Fly Cuzco to Lima, and Lima to Ayachuco (this is where I need to check time schedules)

Thurs nite, Fri, Fri nite 4/9(Good Friday): Ayachuco

Sat.: fly Ayachuco to Lima. Depending on when we get to Lima, may have time to see some of Lima or Semana Santa there. Leave Lima on flight at 12:10 am on Sunday, get home 12:15 pm Sun.

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM

It looks mostly good, emd. The only problem I see is Ayacucho. That I know, the only airline that flies there is called LC Busre:

www.lcbusre.com.pe

If you look at their website, they have two flights daily from Lima to Ayacucho, leaving at 5:00 and 5:10 a.m. and then immediately turning around and flying back to Lima at 6:35 and 6:40 a.m. It would be impossible to get from Cusco to Ayacucho via Lima in the same day.

Aerocondor used to fly there, but their flights have been suspended since June.

Here's the thing about Peru: It's hard to go wrong there. There is so much to see and do in Peru that even if Ayacucho doesn't fit into you schedule this time, it will still be a memorable trip for you and your son before he heads off to college.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:47 PM
emd
Original Poster

You are absolutely right. I will reconsider. Maybe either go to Lima from Cuzco on 4/6 in late afternoon, and then Lima to Ayacucho early next a.m. Or maybe just see Semana Santa in Lima, where it is also an active ceremony. Lots of options.

Thank you!