Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Argentina/Chile - trains, planes, eutomobiles... buses?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're considering a first time trip to S. America sometime between March and May on FF miles and putting prior plans for Asia on hold due to the inability to get there before hot weather sets in. We're generally budget travelers, like a mix of scenic, historic and city life. Trying to save on this trip as much as possible but still enjoy. A bit beyond hostels and backs of pickup trucks at this point though.

So we're thinking about BA for sure for a few days, and maybe the Lake areas (both countries) or north to Salta and Mendoza. Possibly Iguazu although it looks like an expensive destination for transport AND hotel.

Generally, we'd like to start in BA and end up in Santiago. We also considered starting in Asuncion, then overland to Iguazu but I'm still not sold on that idea.

It seems like flying between destinations makes sense since we don't have much time but are these flights really 250 USD+ r/t to each location or is there a secret to this?

And do all the flights always come back to BA for connections? I wouldn't mind flying to Bariloche and then crossing to Puerto Montt, going overland after that to Santiago, stopping a Villarrica & Pucon along the way. Or, to Salta and bus it to Mendoza, then Santiago (or would it be more interesting to cross further north and travel on the Chile side?). Weather may play in, I guess depending on when we go.

I don't mind driving a bit either if it were possible(did ok in Romania and didn't hit a single chicken or sheep, despite many chances), but cars seems hard to come by if you're dropping it elsewhere.

Long post, I know, but - thoughts? Websites with bus timetables and/or fares? I'm open to ideas on the transportation thing.

Thanks, Cliff

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 04:33 AM

Cliff,
I'm researching a trip to this area also. One thing I have found that might interest you is that LanChile flies one-way from BA to Bariloche for $115 US. I think LanChile has just started making internal flights in Argentina but doesn't have many routes yet. Jane
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:16 PM

We are much like you and after a lot of research we ended up booking a cruise for next March. It starts in Buenos Aires, and ends 14 days later in Valparaiso, Chile. We will add a few days in BA to fly to see Iguazu Falls, but doubt we will stay at the Sheraton unless we can get in for a whole lot less than the $375/night their website quotes. I found several lovely hotels for way less outside the park. We have been told that there are some wonderful buses that go from BA to Iguazu. The trip is 16 hours long, however, the seats are spacious and really recline, they serve meals and travel at night so you can sleep most of the time. I was told they are in the $30 each way range. Airfare is more but, I think you are there in 1 1/2 hours. We had considered doing the bus there and then flying back, just to experience the bus, but not kill too many days.
We decided that we could see more in a short time via the cruise and for $2000 for an ocean view room it was a good deal. We are particularly interested in the trip around the tip of South America and the glaciers and mountains. The cruise ship seemed the best way to see that area.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 06:08 AM

We just got back from the Lakes area of Chile. Even though it was winter, we enjoyed it a lot. We rented a car and drove from Santiago to Puerto Monte, going through Villa Rica and Pucon. It was beautiful country even with the clouds. We only had a couple of opportunities to see the volcanos. The one in Villa Rica is active and glows at night, beautiful. If you go to the Lakes area try to get to a park (which I cannot remember the name of) that is on the road from Puerto Varas to Ensenada. The park is a few miles past Ensenada and has beautiful waterfalls with views of volcanos. The trip will be much prettier in the spring or summer. There are lots of fruits and flowers at that time of year. Have a great trip.

Jim
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice, I'm finding it very useful.

Jane, I appreciate the word on that fare to Bariloche. I just tried a date around when we're looking and got back USD $105 one way w/ tax, (and Mendoza for $100). I'm encouraged about that. I didn't know that LAN had taken on some Argentine flights. It would be nice if the internal Chile flights were as well priced!

hotzim, sounds like a nice trip. A little longer than we have if we want to spend time in BA, but I bet it's a beautiful view from the ship. I think we're probably gravitating more towards the inland sights ourselves. I love mountain views.

Jim, I hope I;m not prying, but may I ask who you rented your car through and what the drop charges were like, if any? I've thought of doing the reverse... Bariloche, then boat or bus to Puerto Varas/Montt. Pick up car and see Villarica and the Lake area as we go north, either dropping in Santiago or Temuco with a train/bus/plane the rest of the way (depending on which gives the best time vs cost value). The drop charges I've seen seem to be all over the place, cost-wise.

Thanks again to all!
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Oh, one other quick question of anyone knows. The entry fee (visa?) for Americans arriving in Chile. I think it's $100. Does anyone know if you pay this again if you leave and re-enter Chile within a short period?
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:36 AM

You only pay the $100 fee if you FLY into Chile. I'm planning my schedule to enter Chile via land but fly back to BA from Santiago.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:16 AM

Clifton
You pay the U$S 100 once only.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:18 AM

ups soorry ...U$S 100 for each entry to Chile.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Ah, ok so it's definitely not a visa. Good to know as I was wondering which direction to do to this. Ending in Santiago continues to make good sense, I think.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Clifton, this is an email answer to this question that I received from the Chile Embassy:

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Thank you for contacting the tourism office of the Embassy of Chile!

Regarding entry fees for Americans traveling to Chile there is a reciprocity fee of 100 dollars to be paid in cash (U.S. dollars) or credit cards but only to tourists entering by plane, and the one-time charge is good for the life of your passport. When entering Chile (By cruise, vehicle or plane), before crossing customs, you'll need to fill out a tourist card at international police, that allows visitors to stay for 90 days. You'll need to present this tourist card to Customs when leaving the country as well, do not lose it.

Also hotels waive Chile's 18% sales tax applied to rooms when the guest shows this card and pays with U.S. dollars. On flights leaving Chile, there is an airport tax of US$18, or the equivalent in Chilean Pesos. On domestic flights airport tax is included in the airline ticket.

Please be aware that as an American citizen all you need is a valid passport, no visa is necessary.

For further information regarding entry requirements, contact our Consulate: 202-5304107 or 202-5304106 and the e-mail is: [email protected]

Hospitably,
Tourism Office
Embassy of Chile
www.visitchile.org

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Hi Clifton, a very good bus ride between Bariloche and Puerto Mont Chile costs one way aprox 15-18 dollars. A scenic drive and great rate, takes not too much time.
We also crossed by the Cruce de Lagos, from Bariloche to Puerto Mont a beautiful crossing that costs aprox. 160 dollars.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Jane B
Thanks , excellent post.

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Quite a difference in costs between the lake crossing and the bus but if the bus ride is scenic as well, it's certainly worth considering. Also good to see a clear statement on when the fee applies. Much better than I saw today on several travel information sites. Great post!

Thanks to you both, again. Very useful information. Now to decide how best to use it.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 11:48 PM

Couple of things. We booked our BA Iguazu return flight thru a local travel agent and got a fare lower than the website quotation. It is expensive but totally worth it. The Sheraton is very convenient in terms of falls access tho again I agree it is exp. I understand it is poss to stay in the city and spend the day at the falls quite easily. We did just 1 night at the falls and if you atke an early AM flight there and the 6 PM flight back to BA it is enough time.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 08:19 AM

We spent two months in Argentina a few years ago.

Flew into BA, then flew to Cordoba (the second largest city, where my husband has family). We had to transfer from international to domestic airport to get to Cordoba. The airports are on opposite sides of BA.

We did fly from Cordoba to Salta for a mini-vacation. Loved Salta and that part of Argentina, except Tucuman. We also flew from Cordoba to Santiago (about one hour flight).

We did take the bus from Cordoba to Santa Fe and it was the most interesting bus ride I've ever been on. There was a "bus attendant" who kept offering us soup, snacks. We saw a movie and had a wonderful time on the ride.

And finally, we took the plane back to BA and the boat to Montivideo, Uruguay.

The distances are BIG in Argentina!

My favorite places were Salta, Uruguay, and Chile, even Santiago although it is quite smoggy.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone for your assistance. I suspect there are quite a lot of worthwhile spots with 16 hr bus rides or couple of hundred dollar airfares in between. I knew the distance, but hadn't counted on some of the fares. We're still weighing whether this area is the best choice for this trip or whether it would be best to wait - for either more time or more funds in order to really see all the places that we'd like to.

If not this time, soon. Again, thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:11 AM

I got the cheapest air tickets for trips in Latin America out of Aerolineas Argentinas and TACA. Aerolineas Argentina has rates in Argentine Peso so they are much lower than those rated in dollars. I also got great rates from TACA when going to Peru and Uruguay, though a friend told me LAN was runing some great promotions, don't know if they will still be available when you travel. But anyway you might want to visit their websites:
www.aerolineas.com.ar
http://www.taca.com/indexes.asp
http://www.lan.com/index.html

I also recommend you to e-mail these travel agents: www.alojargentina.com
They have great discount rates at hotels and rent budget apartments in Buenos Aires. It's a good options to save and hace a comfy trip.

Renting a car is wonderful to get to know the country, a marvelous experience. But beware it is not cheaper that flights, especially if you return the car anywhere nad it takes a very long time. Buses are a good option especially if the distances are close or if your travel at night and sleep heavy.

Good Luck!!!

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sarah for the advice. I didn't know anout Taca.

This area is still high on our list of places to see. My work schedule changed so that a Jan-Feb slot became unavailable and so we had to cancel a trip to SE Asia. So we thought Argentina/Chile would be ideal for April as SE Asia was at it's hottest in that month - ugh. However, I've just now had a cancellation and the Asia trip is back on for Jan, so this info I will gratefully file for the following trip. Thanks again everyone.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Hotzim - I acutally took the bus from BA to Iguazu and back. It did take about 16hrs, but the buses in Argentina are far different from the US. They are a thousand times better. Huge double decker buses, with lots of room, meal service, movie,etc.

It was about 90pesos each way, or $30. it was well worth it, as I didn't want to spend $$ on airline. We left @ 5pm, and got in around 10pm. Driving across the countryside - there is nothing like it. And going through these very small towns in the middle of nowhere was amazing. Very comfortable, and easy to access. I didn't think Iguazu would be worth a 16hr bus ride, but i was wrong. very wrong. i actually looked forward to the drive back...we ate very well in Iguazu and took the public bus into the "cataracas." (waterfalls) If you don't want to spend the $$ on air tix, then definitely do the bus. It's clean, easy, and how many people can say they traveled through the country/hills of Argentina?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -