Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Arenal, Tamarindo, San Jose -- hotel comments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading the posts on this board and found them so helpful in planning a Costa Rica vacation for my new husband and myself in August. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone might be able to comment on the itinerary/hotels we're thinking of visiting. Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Aug 1-4: La Mansion Inn Arenal
Aug 4-11: Hotel Jardin del Eden in Tamarindo
Aug 11-13: Hotel Grano de Oro in San Jose

Does anyone think this is too much time in Tamarindo or Jardin del Eden? I can't decide if we should stay a few nights in Cala Luna perhaps? Our main goal is to relax, though...

Finally, we have no desire to rent a car and are planning to use Interbus, taxis, and Sansa to get around. Are we crazy?

Thank you very much -- we look forward to any comments. Happy travels!

Lisa
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:54 PM

Hi Lisa - I will be staying at the Jardin del Eden July 3-7 & I will post a report when I get back. I have been very impressed with their quick response time when making & changing my reservation - Lola is the one who typically responds via email. As you probably know it is a 3 minute walk to the beach but rooms have ocean views and caters more to couples. Ask for a room that's been renovated. Cala Luna is rated higher but is a further walk to the town & I think the beach too. Plus it is much more expensive. I'm sure others on the board will have more thoughts in terms of where to spend your nights & if what you've arranged is right or too much time there.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:38 AM

Hi Lisa,
We stayed at Grano de Oro and loved it. We just had a standard room, as we spent 1 night on each end there. But it is very quaint, staff is fabulous, and the food in the restaurant is delicious.

I can't tell you about the other hotels. We stayed at Arenal Paraiso and really liked it, plus they have great views of the volcano.

As for flying/driving - There are no flights to Arenal so you'd have to do a land transfer. From there you'd either go back to San Jose to fly to Tamarindo, or continue with a land transfer. I have heard Nature Air has a better record than Sansa. We used Nature Air and had no problems.

We drove and flew. We loved driving, it was a great way to see the country.

4 days at Arenal could be a bit much if you're not into hiking and all the outdoor activity, but if you are then it's a great area!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Iza

We stayed at Jardin del Eden during our first trip to CR in 2000 and I was not terribly impressed with that hotel (the roooms were tired and the bathroom was tiny, pool area is enclosed with no view so it can get really hot). If they have renovated their rooms, definitely ask for one of those. Also, ask for a room upstairs - you will have a better view and more privacy.

Cala Luna is probably a good alternative to Jardin del Eden although it is further away from the center of the town. You will have the advantage of being on the quiet stretch of the beach though so it will be more relaxing. Cala Luna used to have very good specials for the green season so look into that. Another alternative in Tamarindo would be Capitan Suizo (although in August there will be families with kids there). You should also check out Sueno del Mar and Casa Cook - both look great and are right on the beach. Tamarindo has lots of activities and attractions available so you will be able to stay busy for a week if you choose to do so.

La Mansion Inn looks really nice, but be aware that it is a lake hotel, not a volcano hotel.

For your last couple of nights, I would recommend that you stay outside of San Jose (but still near the airport). Two great places are Xandari and Vista del Valle.

Getting around by plane, taxis and bus is fine. You may want to rent a car in Tamarindo for a couple of days and explore the surrounding towns and beaches - driving in that area is easy.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:37 AM

I think a week in Tamarindo is way too much time, and I'm a beach person who likes to sit in the sun and relax or read. I think three or four days is the maximum time I would spend in Tamarindo (and did just this past February and liked it very much). I stayed at Capitan Suizo, but half-wish that I stayed at Cala Luna. It was really pretty and boutiquey-looking, even though it's not on the beach (which isn't such a big deal because the beach isn't Caribbean-perfect as far as white sand and aquamarine water go, and the hotels don't have loungers/umbrellas for people to sun there). The pools at both Cala Luna and Jardin looked pretty, although Jardin is a bit more enclosed as Iza said (we had dinner at both hotels). We walked to town from Capitan each day for lunch and then most nights for dinner, and the walk wasn't bad (15 minutes, on a paved and somewhat streetlit road); the walk from Cala Luna would be another 5 minutes longer. Keep in mind that although Jardin is in the center of town, it sits off the main road and uphill--just as much/as little trouble to me as walking to town from Cala Luna.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Hello Lisa,

I think you should stay at Hotel Las Lagos while you are in Arenal! Trust me! This place is VERY beautiful and has waterslides, a thermal pool with a wet bar, a beautiful restaurant with a beautiful view of the volcano. It also has a petting zoo, canopy tour and a nice observation point! Trust me you will not be upset staying at this hotel!!! IT'S THE BEST!!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:45 AM

fluffnfold - so it is definitely possible to walk from Jardin to Cala Luna? I'd like to at least go visit Cala Luna to compare the two. Any other thoughts about your visit to Jardin? I'll be there early next month.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, they are much appreciated. hmmmm... That's a bit disappointing to hear that the hotels don't have umbrellas or beach chairs on the beach. Does that mean we need to bring our own beach towels?

I'm still torn as to what to do in Tamarindo. Apparently Jardin del Eden has renovated some rooms and is under new management since 2002-ish, so that could bode well. I just don't want to get bored or claustrophobic in Tamarindo! Capitan Suizo is probably not a good option for us, as I find screaming children far from relaxing when I'm on vacation. Still wondering if we should spend part of the time in Jardin, and part in Cala Luna or Sueno del Mar -- or would that just be a pain to move?

Petting zoos and waterslides are definitely not for me. I think La Mansion Arenal sounds just delightful, and they have plenty of activities on offer.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Lisa - I did have a friend stay at Jardin last March 2003 & her & her husband found it very nice. I don't think they saw Cala Luna to make comparisons - but I know my decision for Jardin was based on price & the fact that we can have ocean views from the rooms. You can see the updated rooms on their website - lots of pictures recently added to the gallery. Also - they include a full breakfast (eggs, pancakes, etc.) which I know is a little perk - but nice to know when making a decision - Cala Luna has the usual continental breakfast features. I struggled to make the decision between those two for quite a while myself - but I am happy now with my choice & will let you know what I think after I return.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:26 AM

schlubb:

It's definitely possible to walk between Cala Luna and Jardin del Eden. I think it would take about 20 minutes. The road is paved. You can also walk to town on the beach (although I would only do so in the daylight), which is much cooler than using the road (which is more inland and not at all breezy). There are also a few cabs in Tamarindo. Definitely visit CL--I thought the grounds were really pretty and the hotel boutiquey. The open-air restaurant (and you can also dine under the stars right next to the pool) was very elegant--great food, great presentation. So much more than I expected to find in Tamarindo.

Jardin seemed nice also, but that walk up the hill/in from the main street seemed endless. We had terrible service at dinner there (although the food was good--great hearts of palm salad), so maybe that's why I don't speak about them more positively. After telling us that we didn't have a reservation (even after I produced two e-mail confirmations), they gave us a table right by the kitchen and basically ignored us. We didn't even leave a tip. But all the other diners seemed pleased--the restaurant was packed (although it's not that big).

I've heard many people comment on the screaming kids at Capitan Suizo. I can only say that when I was there in February, there were no children at all (and the hotel was filled to capacity). In fact, I would say that it was one of the most secluded and peaceful hotels that I have ever stayed in (but then again, I stay at lots of all-inclusive properties and in huge skyscraper hotels in major cities). Capitan just isn't that big, and there is nothing for kids to do there. The rooms don't even have TVs, so I don't know why it would be an appealing place for families. And the troupe of monkeys that live in the trees surrounding Capitan are just amazing! I have never seen anything like it!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:02 PM
Iza

Just a response to fluffnfold and others re Capitan Suizo and kids - we stayed there 3 times in the summer (August) and there were always kids. Usually well behaved but definitely there. The hotel is popular with families but outside of school vacation periods, there will most likely be no kids there. Capitan Suizo is our daughter's favorite place in Costa Rica even though it has no TVs ;-)
She loves the pool there, the boogie boarding, the swinging rope, iguanas and the monkeys, the ping pong table on the beach, horseback rides, sunsets on the beach, watching geckos, reading books and writing in her journal, having fruit smoothies at the bar, watching the stars at night, walking on the beach, making friends and playing games with other kids and countless other activities. Kids really do not need TV or video games to keep themselves occupied and happy.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:15 PM

Just to throw in my two cents' worth: we stayed 4 nights at El Jardin in March 2003 and for the most part enjoyed it. It's run by French people now. The breakfasts there were the best we had in CR and the restaurant is really very good, with lovely fresh food, well prepared. The service we had was always good too. But I wouldn't have wanted to spend more than four days in Tamarindo--just didn't find it that interesting or appealing. Personally I would choose Manuel Antonio over Tamarindo, but it depends, I suppose, on the activities that you like.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. Since we're going in August, I think we'll definitely avoid Capitan Suizo due to the kid factor. I am a little worried about spending 7 days in Tamarindo and getting tired of it, but my husband really wants to relax and do nothing for a while (ie, not travel all over the place), so we'll just see how it goes. If we get bored, maybe we'll head to Manuel Antonio, since it seems like we're the only visitors to Costa Rica who aren't going there!

Just as an aside, has anyone stayed at the Four Seasons in Costa Rica? Is it worth it?