Search

Arenal or MA w/young kids

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arenal or MA w/young kids

We're travelling to Costa Rica for 4 nights in June with 3 and 5 year old boys. We get into SanJose at 11:30am on a Mon. and fly out at 3:15pm on Fri. Will spend one night at Peace Lodge or somewhere in Alajuela. Would 3 nights in MA or Arenal be better with young kids? They love animals. I'm thinking Los Lagos in Arenal or either Buena Vista Villas/Si Como No in MA. If we go with Arenal is the Cano Negro tour too lengthy for kids? Thanks.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM

If they love animals, you'll see more wildlife in MA. There's not nearly as much wildlife in Arenal. In MA you'll see monkeys right on the propery at Buena Vista Villas and they have their own private beach which is really convenient. They even have a small selection of sand toys. At ages 3 and 5 they won't really have an appreciation of the volcano, so I'd vote for MA. For Cano Negro, the drive just to get there is a couple of hours, then you have the boat ride itself and then a couple hours back. For my kids at that age, it wouldn't be worth it. However, in MA the Damas Mangrove tour is somewhat similar in that you're on a boat and see wildlife, but you only have about a 30 minute drive or so to get there.

While Los Lagos is a great hotel for kids, I think MA overall is a better destination for kids.

You'l also need to check to see if Peace Lodge has reopened by the time you intend to travel.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 02:03 PM

I love Arenal, but I think MA is more user friendly for families. You have the beach right there and all the wildlife inside the park. Plus things are all clustered together and easy to get to, lots of restaurant choices. With kids, I'd go MA like Shell said. I think Arenal is better for people who want a little adventure like ziplines, etc. I'd be hesitant to take kids that young on Cano Negro - no potty on the boat and a long bus ride.

When we were in MA, we honestly felt like we were still in the states, which a lot of people like. Most everyone spoke English and a lot of the businesses are owned by Americans. Watch out for the monkeys in the park; they are so used to people that they will go after food and things if you leave them out or on the beach. They're little kleptos.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
With little kids I would choose MA.

MY
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 05:23 PM

With kids that age, I'd definitely go to Si Como No in Manuel Antonio. Our 3 year old grandaughter loved the pool at Si Como No with the waterslide and friendly iguanas walking around. There were other kids in the pool area to play with and her dad loved the swim up bar in the pool at the base of the waterslide. Monkeys hanging around the restaruant when you have breakfast were a real hit, too. Then you can take their free shuttle to the beach.