Search

arenal nights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2005, 05:03 AM
ljv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arenal nights

Does it get really cool at night? Wondering if I need to bring a jacket or sweater?
Also, does anyone know if the town of Fortuna has a laundromat?
Finally, has anyone eaten dinner at the Lost Iguana or the Observatory Lodge?

Thanks for any input...leaving on Aug.5 and getting excited!
LJV
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 08:59 AM

We were there in June. I don't remember it being cool enough for a jacket, but it was cool enough to be pleasant.
We stayed (and ate at) L Iguana. We loved the place, and the room. The view from the dining room was nice, and I would say that you will probably see the red lava after dark (IF the clouds are not covering the peak), however, we weren't impressed by the food. Not bad, just not notable.

We loved the area. Good place for lunch in L. Fortuna is Lava Rocks, on the main drag across from the church. Good iced tea and salads. MMMM
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 10:58 AM

ljv, I have eaten dinner at both the Lost Iguana and the Arenal Observatory Lodge. We were just there in June 2005. There was a volcano lava view from both restaurants! (Lava flow can move over time, you can't count on this though. Plus sometimes clouds block your view of the lava flow. But the volcano is still beautiful ringed with clouds even if you can't see the lava.)

We enjoyed dinner buffet at the Arenal Observatory Lodge. Good range of food choices. Go up early, you have to pay to get up there anyway, you might as well go early and take the hike to the waterfall. My family enjoyed that, I was afraid of the lightening so I stayed near the Lodge.

The restaurant at the Arenal Observatory Lodge is glassed in, however, and reflections partially obscure your volcano view while you are eating at dinner-time. But you can walk outside on the balcony attached to the restaurant for a direct volcano view. You are closer to the lava up there...maybe too close! Bring binoculars and you can actually see the big boulders bounding down the side of the volcano with the lava.

LOST IGUANA RESTAURANT:
I really liked the open-air style restaurant they have at the Lost Iguana. The sides are open to the view, no glass. Nice view of rainforest-style vegetation, plus volcano view. We ate dinner there twice, once there was actually lava flow during dinner! Food was decent during dinner. (by costa Rican standards it was above average, definitely. Fish and beef were good choices.) My lunch wasn't good at the Lost Iguana, I would eat somewhere else for lunch. My lunch tasted okay but it was a tiny amount of chicken salad on white bread...boring. Dinner was worth it, though. Also the breakfast buffet was good. Dinner prices were between $8.50 and $14.

In June it never got cold at night, in my opinion, anyplace we visited except for at Monteverde, where it was definitely cold in the evening/night!!! However I liked long sleeves in the evening in costa rica to protect against mosquitoes. It's a little cooler at night but not actually cold in Arenal in June. (I only got 1 mosquito bite in Arenal, by the way. didn't even wear my Deet. Wore long sleeves at evening)

Don't know about a laundromat. I think they must have one somewhere. We stayed at the Lost Iguana and they did the laundry for us for free, I have no idea if this was a special favor (because a storm had knocked the phones out for 2 days) or if this is their usual policy. But it was great for us!!!

See my trip report for lots of info..."We're Alive!Costa Rica Trip Report June 2005: Monkeys....." etc.

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:56 AM

Hi Again Liv,

While there now in July, the evenings were pleasant and not cool at all, sometimes a little warm, but not bad and nothing like on the coast. I don't think you will need a jacket or sweater at all in the evenings. But I always take a light sweater when I travel for the airplane and have that, I never pulled mine out the entire stay.

We never ate lunch or dinner during our stay at Lost Iguana, just breakfast, but a couple that we met there at all their meals there and said they were fine, but nothing spectacular. That's all I can assist with on this one. Have a great time!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:33 PM

if you do not find a laundromat. ask the hotel attendant; usually they might know somebody who makes a living by doing your clothes.
Usually they do it by hand, so you will need to take it like in the morning to have it back the same night or so..
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:36 AM

We were there 2 weeks ago and I saw a laundromat on the main drag as you approach the town If you stand looking at the volcano its on the left hand side before all the shops and tour offices begin. We had laundry done at our hotel My 15 year old son had spent a week there at a suf camp before we arrived and he had a huge bag of laundry that cost less than $10.00 and was back the same day at Arenal Paraiso Have a great trip Ami
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:49 AM

There are a few cleaners in La Fortuna.