Search

Arenal,(Montezuma or Jaco Beach?) then Manuel Antonio

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arenal,(Montezuma or Jaco Beach?) then Manuel Antonio

I sure appreciate all the help from people on this site! Thnx

Our trip is in November 2009, 10 nites -11 days, renting a car, we are 48 yrs old- like to swim, hike, snorkel - might try boogie board/ beginner surf

We are arriving SJO, drive to Arenal for 4 nights and then I am trying to decide if the Drive/Ferry (which I think will be fun - @ least once) to Montezuma for 3 nites, then Ferry/Drive to Manuel Antonio for 3 nites

OR instead of going to Montezuma - go to Jaco/or Playa Hermosa, which I think might not be as nice, but it would be a shorter trip and on the route to M.A. Plus, they do have Corcovado Reserve to see the Mcaws.

*** I am also a little concerned about our rental car - which we are insuring to the hilt, but just HOW concerned should I be with someone stealing it or whatever? (I won't leave anything in it and I'm getting a car without a trunk) Would Jaco or Montezuma be more of a concern with the car?
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM

I have not been to Jaco, but it has a bit of a rep for being seedy with drugs and prostitution. Did you happen to see Pat Hewitt's latest comments about it? I'd go with Montezuma. I would be more concerned about things being stolen out of the car than the car itself being stolen. Corcovado is on the Osa Peninsula - I think maybe you're referring to another place. Did you mean Carrera?
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Agree with vg, I'd be more inclined to skip Jaco for somewhere else. Also I wouldn't worry so much about the car being stolen as stuff being stolen out of it. Don't leave anything in the car, ever.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Hey guys thanks for the info on the car and Jaco. I feel better now. Montezuma/Mal Pais it is then.

Volgrl, yes, I saw PatHewitt's comments about Jaco, but you know, I alway hope for the best... people said the same thing about Jamaica and I didn't think it was THAT bad. But the driving (in a taxi, no less) was! Scary!
Thnks again, this trip has been Sooo hard to plan!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Let us know how it goes. I'd love to hear about Montezuma.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Maybe it would be wise to clear up some of this negativity on poor old Jaco.
My wife and I live in Vancouver , BC and for those in the know Vancouver has been declared the worlds most liveable city and also it claimed second spot for the most beautiful city and even we don't go for a walk on the beaches (17 miles of them) alone at night. We also don't traipse through the east end with all our jewelry aglitter and money hanging from our pockets.
Now why do you think that my wife and I choose Jaco? It's the center for getting anywhere in Costa Rica on the Pacific side. We frequently leave our suitcase in the room and head out for parts unknown, sometimes for 2-3 days.It's central to everything.
It also has an abundance of hotels and apartotels (that don't give rebates and commissions to travel agents) to choose from.
It also has a terrific array of restaurants, bars, and of course, shopping. there is nothing in the States or Canada that you won't find in Jaco.
If it's to be believed Jaco is the den of evil and danger for the tourists.
We'll be going in December for another 6 weeks and it's our 10th year.
If you want to write about crime and evil talk Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, etc, etc.
If you want to talk boredom pick Saskatoon, Grand Rapids, and many others.
Leave Jaco alone, especially if you haven't been there.
Roger.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM

rog, I did say I haven't been there so I was trying to be fair. I have never seen drugs or prostitution anywhere I've gone in CR. I've read several trip reports where people report openly seeing them in Jaco. Are you saying you've never seen those things there? Or that we should accept those things because they are common to a lot of other areas, including those in the US? Or that they are just concentrated in certain areas of Jaco and you know how to avoid them? I would love to hear the details from someone who likes it there.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Hey Costarog, You are probably right about crime and such in Jaco, I grew up in Dallas and moved to Denver BECAUSE of the crime,drugs,prostitution in Dallas(20 yrs ago), BUT... Denver has all this too, just not as bad.

Sooo, that's not why I think I'll go to Montezuma instead of Jaco. It's what you said about "nothing in the States or Canada that you won't find in Jaco" statement that makes me want to go to Montezuma. Jeez, I might as well stay home! I DO think Montezuma will be "touristy" too, but hopefully there is no "McDonalds" etc.

I agree Jaco would be a great "Base Point" for traveling Costa Rica on the Pacific Coast for 6 weeks, but alas, I only have 10 days in CR. Besides, I get a cheap boat ride on the Ferry!

Volgrl, I'll be sure to give a Trip Report when I get back!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM

gret, I've been interested in that area because I always hear such good things about Ylang Ylang - can't wait to hear about your trip!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 06:34 PM

volcanogirl
There's drugs everywhere. It don't matter if you are in our beautiful city or somewhere on the other parts of the pacific coast.
Here's where we've been offered drugs so far:
San Jose
Carib-Cahuita, PV
Guanacatse-Tamarindo, Playa Del Coco, Liberia
Central Coast-Jaco,Quepos, MA, Dominical, Uvita.
Places we haven't:
Arenal, Samara, Carillo, Isla tortuga.
The 100+ other place we haven't stayed too long so I can't comment on those places.
As for the girls, I have't been to a place where they weren't available.
It's the same the world over except these small nations are just catching up.
My main point is that the travel agents don't recognize some of the better places because they don't kick back any remuneration to the agent.
There are some real nice places out there and the traveller should be made aware of them.
The one I mentioned was the Canciones Del Mar in Jaco. It's a perfect place for someone to enjoy the thrills of the Pacific side.
You do know by now that I'm not a travel agent but I am an agent.
I sell Real Estate in Vancouver.
Enjoy costa Rica bit keep your head up.
Roger.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 04:20 AM

I have been to both Jaco and Montezuma and would pick Montezuma hands down. Sorry, but I did feel that Jaco had a bit of an uncomfortable vibe to it, but maybe it's just not what I look for in a vacation spot. I found Jaco far to built up, and the Jaco beach was definitely not one of my favourites.
Saying that, I love Montezuma and it does have a hippy vibe to the place,and of course, you can find drugs if you are looking for them. For some reason, there was a "gentler" vibe to the place, not so Americanized, sort of small village "hippy dippy yoga" if you know what I mean. And the beaches are beautiful. Every person is different and has their own take on travel destinations, and that is what makes this forum so interesting!
Ylang Ylang is one of my favourite places to stay in Costa Rica, and I'll be returning there next February for one week.
Thankfully, there are not McDonalds in the Montezuma area.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 08:17 AM

I have to agree with Costarog. He hit on my pet peeve. There is so much good information on this board, but I do wish that any advice posted was only from first hand experience, not just repeating what others have said. I've seen a lot of wrong information floating around this way. Ok, I'll get off my stump now.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 08:44 AM

rog, I appreciate your perspective.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 04:12 AM

Gretchlk, just make sure Ylang Ylang is open in November. I do recall that they close over the winter for either October or November.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 07:43 AM

Just checked their website, they open November 1st after being closed in October.