Arenal lodging

Nov 30th, 2001, 05:16 PM
linda

Arenal lodging

Will be down in CR in mid-December. Does anyone have suggestions for lodging near Arenal. Tabacon Resort has been getting mixed reviews.

Nov 30th, 2001, 06:26 PM
MJ

Keep in mind that you aren't getting deluxe hotels in Costa Rica. Many times destinations get a bad rap because the traveler wasn't suited to the place! That said, Tabacon and Arenal Lodge are the best. Tabacon's more conveniently located and has the hot springs (choose the junior suite category if it's available). Arenal Lodge is a little more out of the way if you want to feel more secluded. Choose the cabins on the hillside; they're a little longer walk to the rest of the facilities but the best accommodations there. Both offer good views of Arenal.

Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:32 AM
gab

When we visited Arenal, we stayed at the Tilijari resort about 20 minutes away. The accommodations were very nice, but in hindsight we probably should have stayed at the Arenal Observatory Lodge, only because the volcano was very active during our visit and it would have been amazing to see it going off all through the night.

My understanding was that the AOL had horrible food, with all meals included. That was where we were slated to stay because our travel agent told us that the views of the volcano were so phenomenal. But during our trip we met some fellow travelers who had stayed at Tilajari and raved about it, so we switched at the last minute.

Dec 3rd, 2001, 07:37 AM
vlouisv

My vote is definately for the cabins at AL. They have great bathrooms, and a very rugged interior feeling to them. They are nice, clean, and seem new. Kind of like a hunting cabin feeling to them...with great views of the volcano. You pull up a couple of the chairs out front, sit back, and watch the show.

Also, we had a nice meal at the Observatory restraunt.

Dec 3rd, 2001, 08:12 AM
Nancy

We have stayed at both Tabacon and Arenal Lodge. If you plan on spending time at the Hot Springs, Tabacon is wonderful. Just across the street. Very nice dining room/bar area and pool. Friendly resident Toucan. Our room at the Lodge was very far up the hill, unless you have brought beverages with you, there is no where to get anything when the main lodge is closed, and we have yet to hear of anyone that has seen the volcano from there, mostly because it is cloudy & rainy most of the time.

Dec 4th, 2001, 05:46 PM
linda

Has anyone gone to Arenal Paraiso or Montana de Fuego?

Dec 5th, 2001, 05:44 AM
Iza

We stayed at Arenal Paraiso for 2 nights in August of this year. The accommodations were acceptable but nothing to write home about. The cabin we stayed at (deluxe) had a very rustic feel to it, and the beds were too soft. It was clean but the bathroom had a very strong smell of disinfectant. The view of the volcano from our cabin would have been spectacular if it wasn't for clouds and fog.
The breakfast at Arenal Paraiso was very good and they have great pools at the property.

Dec 25th, 2001, 01:16 PM
linda

I've heard good things about Los Lagos. That's where we are headed tomorrow. I'll post our review when we get back.

Linda

Dec 25th, 2001, 05:49 PM
David

Linda, My wife and I were at Montana de Fuego last weekend. Nice place ($95) & right in front of the volcano on the N.side (best view). The best time to see the volcano while we were there was just before sunrise. They have a shuttle to Tabacon. If $95 is too rich, try San Bosco (in LaFortuna) at about $20. Have fun!