Search

Arenal Lodge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arenal Lodge

Does anyone have any first hand info on this place? It wasn't my 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice but I'm running out of options. There doesn't seem to be much info out there so please provide info if you've been there. Thanks!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:41 PM

when are you traveling? im also trying to book in the area and haven't gotten much feedback.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

I'm going from July 30 to August 8. I know Lost Iguana has room but they are kind of pricy for our family of 5. We would need 2 rooms. I have finally given up trying to do this myself and have sought help from Pat Hewett of truecostarica.com. Good luck!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:58 PM

Contact www.costaricapackage.com same people as Hotel La Finca que Ama, Neta might be able to help find hotel rooms.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

I just consulted with Pat Hewitt who is highly recommended on this board. He suggests this hotel, Arenal Lodge. There just isn't much info on this place. Anyone...
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:08 AM

I stayed at Arenal Lodge end of November 2004. Pat booked it for me. I told him I absolutely decline to stay at Tobagon because it is touristy.
Most (almost all) hotels at Arenal are located along a road from La Fortuna. Not Arenal Lodge. In order to get to Arenal Lodget, you have to make a turn at the guard station after the road passes Arenal Lake, and drive all the way up very steep road for about 2 miles. You are greeted by the sign "Yes! You made it!" at hotel entrance.
As for my taste, Arenal Lodge is the best option in the area. BUT... If you do not have a car, plan to spend more money on taxis if you go on trips originating in La Fortuna. The fact that Arenal Lodge is more distant than other hotels was not inconvenience at all. But this is for me. The Lodge itself is absolutely beatiful, with a central view of Arenal Volcano. Of course, if there're no clouds. The Lodge has its own garden with numerous el miradores (view points onto the Volcano). On the other side of the Lodge, there's a butterfly garden, hummingbirds bushes, small zoo, and hiking trails in the rainforest. All this is hotels' territory which is huge.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. Especially organizing my day trips.
Food is OK (by NYC standards). They have a little platform for birds in front of the restaurant. Scores of colorful birds feast on fruits and seeds posing before cameras and paying little attention to amazed people.
BTW, if you plan to visit Arenal Lake or Hanging Bridges, these places are quite near Arenal Lodge.
However, if you plan to spend more time closer to a town of La Fortuna (nice, but really nothing to do after 3 hrs), then perhaps you want to explore other options. If I have to stay in that area again, my choice would only be Arenal Lodge.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Oleg: Thanks so much for that info. Exactly the type of info I was looking for. I really appreciate your description of the grounds and what the Lodge has to offer in terms of scenery, gardens, butterflies, etc. Sounds quite appealing. I also heard that they now have a pool. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks again!
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Don't know about the pool, as it's been two to three years since we've been to Arenal Lodge. Totally agree with Oleg's review in every respect. We didn't want Tabacon for the same reasons. We liked Arenal Lodge very much. We particularly loved sitting on our little volcano facing patio (junior suite below the dining room) drinking coffee in the am and watching birds come and go from feeders. Also enjoyed their small rainforest reserve, butterfly farm, etc. And we were able to arrange a nice guided hike over to the lava fields thru the desk. We took a hotel shuttle one way into La Fortuna and a taxi back. Could have driving but as Oleg said it's a dark bumpy road back into Arenal Lodge, so made it easy on ourselves. . .
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 12:47 PM

I'm not sure about this - but I believe there may be two different lodges with the name Arenal in them. One known as the Arenal Lodge, and the other known as the Arenal Observatory Lodge - both in the area of the Arenal volcano. I believe the Arenal Observatory Lodge is the one that has a bit of a drive to La Fortuna, and includes a long winding drive to the top. You should be sure which one you are actually getting a reservation with.