Search

Arenal Flow Changed

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arenal Flow Changed

I keep hearing reports that the lava flows at Arenal have changed to a different side of the volcano. Fully realizing that cloud cover makes viewing spotty at best, I am wondering if we will still have a good chance at viewing it from the Arenal Paraiso direction?
Thanks
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:35 AM

There's a link you can look at to see where the lava flow has been. It has been recently updated. I don't have the link written down, but there's a post on www.frommers.com discussion board in the Costa Rica section about ARenal lava flow changing. In this discussion someone has provided the link. I have checked the link yesterday and for a couple months, if I recall correctly, there has been lava flow over on the other side opposite from Arenal Paraiso. But I don't know if that means that's the only side that has flow, it's the newest development.

Anybody know more?
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:37 PM

When I was there in April, it was better seen from The Observatory Lodge then Arenal Paraiso. Of course we didnt see anything as it was cloudy but that is what I heard from our guide,
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Yes,lava flow has changed directions to the backside of the volcano according to the updated map at arenal.net. I'm leaving for CR on 5/28 and will be up at Tabacon on 5/31-6/2. Looks like I will be using my SUV to travel the road up to the Arenal Observatory Lodge.....maybe in the middle of the night, if the clouds clear off. Keep in mind if you choose to go up that road at night, it gets steep, bumpy, etc, so use care driving up there. I have done that road before. What stinks now is that the lava flows(when visible)are not viewable from any of the hotels on the front side and even out on Lake Arenal. Guess I'll find out 1st hand in 2 weeks.
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Do let us know! Darned that lava. . . . Don't you just know the hotels hate it when the lava flow decides to up and favor another establishment?!
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:09 PM

I think the volcano goddess is laughing at us tourists.
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:29 AM

We will be staying at Lomas del Volcan....anyone been there recently as far lava flow?

thanks
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:40 AM

I was just there. Great clear days. From AP we didn't see much action. At night you see a faint red glow, but the volcano was very quiet. We went up to the Observatory Lodge, and from there we could see rocks shift and come down every once in a while displacing little puffs of ash and dirt into the air as they slid down, but still no great explosions or lava flows. Please don't go expecting to see continuous red flows of lava or stuff going into the air. This happens only occassionally. It's still a spectacular sight to be so close though. To see a red glow at night. But, to see a nice river of lava coming down, or have fireworks is a rare thing, and you have to be lucky. yes, the new flow is on the side opposite of AP. Even from the observatory lodge we didn't see much though.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:03 PM

Even if the odds are against seeing a spectacular show, it is worth taking the chance, because if you are lucky enough to see a good one, you'll never forget it.