Reload this Page >

Are all taxi's safe in Puerto Vallarta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:27 PM
Mary

Hi-- <BR>I have read that in Mexico City you have to be very careful of which taxi's you ride in. In Puerto Vallarta are all taxi's safe or should we ride with a particular company? We will be going to PV in the fall. I am very excited. Thanks for the info. Mary

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:49 PM
JRinPV

Taxi drivers aren't my favorite people here, like they own the road and not having meters. But there are safe, no problem. The whole town is very safe - safer than any other place I've ever lived. Agree on the cost of the ride before you get in and don't take restaurant recommendations from them - they will be getting a kick-back.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:49 PM
LordBalfor

All the taxi's we saw looked the same (same paint scheme, same make & model - all were fairly new) & seemed just fine. We had no troubles anywhere (not even with any food or water). <BR>I posted a couple of reviews of our trip on Epinions.com. the first is at the following URL: <BR>http: <BR> <BR>//www.epinions.com/content_30322626180 <BR> <BR>From there you can find the other if you are interested. I've also posted hi-rez photos on Webshots.com at: <BR> <BR>http://community.webshots.com/user/lordbalfor <BR> <BR>Enjoy.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Just Came Back

Mary, <BR> <BR>I just got back for PV. It was my first trip to PV so I was very concerned about the safety and business practices of local taxis before my trip. I felt that the taxis there were generally safe and cheap. <BR> <BR>I noticed none of the taxi drivers wore seat belts. I strongly urge occupants to wear seat belts (if you can find it) because taxi drivers in Mexico are no different from taxi drivers in NY (basically loose with the traffic laws). Also, all the taxis we rode were all relatively dated (5-8 years), small, and Japanese (Nissan). Luckily, there is very little traffic in PV. <BR> <BR>There are no meters in the taxis. Always check before you get in a taxi how much they will charge for the journey. My hotel had a posting outside of what it should cost to get to various parts of the city. Every taxi except for one charged us the posted rate. We did not tip the odd taxi driver. <BR> <BR>As for riding with a particular taxi company, I don't know if that is even feasible. There was a taxi counter at the hotel and they called for a taxi waiting outside whenever a patron needed one. <BR> <BR>I don't think we ever felt completely "safe" in a Mexican taxi in PV. That is not to say that taxis in PV are not safe. After all, we were in a foreign country and did not speak their language. I think being on your guard and a little dose of stress is not such a bad thing in Mexico. Trust your instincts and have a safe trip!

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 08:40 PM
jesse

have ridden in taxis there dozens of times, from early morn to late late night. I have had nothing but great experiences. The taxi drivers were always friendly and full of great info. Never did I ask them to recomend a place to eat or a club, and they never offered to give me one. No problems with taxis there. Cheap and fun, you may want to even rent one for a day. They would be the best source to see PV away from the tourist areas, yet in a safe area. After all who would know more about PV then a driver that lives there.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 01:21 AM
nancy

I agree with Jesse. The cab drivers in PV were very polite and informative. Even nicer than NYC cab drivers!

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 06:15 PM
Tina

Hi! I was in Puerto Vallarta for my first time Feb/2001. Took a taxi twice- did not have any problems. Always agree on a price before getting in. I found them to be polite and no they did not drive like maniacs.