Anyone taken the Short Cut from San Jose to La Fortuna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been looking at routes from San Jose to the Arenal area. So, I went to various hotel sites near where we are staying and printed out their directions to compare. The Lost iguana has an optional shortcut that says will save us 25 minutes, and is scenic. Sounds pretty nice, but has anyone taken it? I'm a little freaked that few directions have street names. Seems like evrything is by landmarks. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this shortcut and been successful. If it's too complicated I don't want to chance it. I don't want to waste time getting lost. Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:00 AM

The fastest way to get from the SJO airport area to Arenal is west on the Interamerican, exit at San Ramon, then north through La Tigra and on to La Fortuna, where you turn left and drive the last 5-10 min. to Arenal. Very scenic--well, gee, every route is that!

Another popular route takes you through Naranjo, Zarcero, San Carlos (also called Cuidad Quesada). Also very scenic, but takes a little longer. It is fun to go one way and return the other.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks shillmac. i think that's the route a couple of the other hotels suggested. They say it takes 3 1/2 hours on this route. The Lost iguana mentions a short cut that would save us 25 minutes. Just wondering if it's complicated and really true. Wonder if anyone has done it? We're just trying to make it to Arenal before night fall. Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 01:51 PM

We are planning our honeymoon..a little late I know...but we ned somem advice as to what are the MUST go to places. We onlyhave 6 days and want to start out at Arenal. Is it best to rent an SUV and drive ourselves or have someone take us around and pay for the service? Where should we stay in Areanal? I heard Paraiso is nice? Any comments? We don't want to spend more than $115 a night. Although we copuld afford to do it one night somewhere. We want to surf and stay near the beaches, ride the rapids and do the tours that include the swing through the trees. Any want to help pla our very special week?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Well, I hear Lost Iguana is nice in Arenal, but some complained about construction. The rooms look nice, and their web site is pretty good. But, I was told Arenal paraiso and Montana de Fuego have better views of the Volcano, so we decided on that. we're staying at AP for about $90 in one of the Deluxe air conditioned cabins. It's our first trip and we're only going to Arenal and La Paz, so I wish I could help you more.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:30 PM

We liked Arenal Paraiso. It has gotten very good reviews from almost everyone who has stayed there.