Anyone have any suggestions on Belize?

Jul 9th, 1998, 09:56 AM
Jason

Anyone have any suggestions on Belize?

Ok, so after posting a message, I got no responses on where to go in Latin America. So I settled on Belize. I do have my diver's certification. I am going mid-August, should I be worried about the weather? What are the main points I should hit? Should I rent a car? Should I book budget accomidations before I go, or can I show up? I have lots of questions. If anyone wants to be helpful.

Jul 9th, 1998, 10:21 AM
Jer Jensen

When you fly in, get out of Belize City as fast as you can! Its a dump! Don't be discouraged though the cays (islands) are out of this world.

Don't miss Tikal! They are the greatest Mayan ruins of all time. Its a short plane trip across the rain forest in Guatamala. You can catch a flight to Tikal at the Belize Airport.

Enjoy.

Jul 14th, 1998, 06:27 AM
R.L.

Just got back from Southern Belize. The weather was ok,rainy periods,brisk ocean breeze (kept the sand flies at bay ) Expect the same weather in Aug, on your trip.We fished and snorkleled at the Saphodilla Cayes ,Stayed at a hidaway down by Monkey River.Bob was a great host.A very laid back vacation.Any info i can give you ,just email me above. R.L.

Jul 21st, 1998, 10:04 AM
Cathy Adams

My husband and I and two friends will be leaving for Ambergris Caye, Belize Sunday. We have done our homework on this and we will be staying at Journey's End Resort (another island off the Ambergris Caye island.) If you want some info on Belize and the Caye's, go to www.ambergriscaye.com
There is alot to do around Belize and the Cayes. Costa Rica is another nice place, but get out of San Juan as quickly as possible because this is the main city in Costa Rica and it is Filthy..... The rainforest, volcanos and beachs are great though.
I will let everyone know how Journeys End Resort is when I return. I will also let you know how the diving was....

Jul 21st, 1998, 11:01 AM
Stuart Bethune

Hi!!

My wife and I and our two children (16 & 22) are flying in to Belize next week for two weeks. We've been doing research but as yet haven't made any concrete plans. Will probably rent a vehicle, stay on the mainland week 1 then probably spend week 2 on one of the cayes. But hey, we're open to suggestions!!

Anyone with some good insights/experiences -- let me hear from you!!!

Aug 3rd, 1998, 02:39 PM
b

If you're a serious diver, you MUST avoid Ambergris and go to one of the three outer atolls: Glover's Reef, Turneffe Island, or Lighthouse Reef. Each of these atolls are at the true barrier reef. Lighthouse probably has the best diving, but only one resort that books for only one week trips. We went to Turneffe Island Resort and had a great time. Rustic accommodation, but the diving was spectacular. I've been throughout the Caribbean, Hawaii, Australia and Asia, and this was the best diving that I've ever done. The "Elbow" is spectacular. I have also heard that Manta Resort is great on Glover's Island.

We went to Ambergris once. It's fun and lively, but the diving cannot compare to the atolls. Don't be fooled by the advertisements of "day trips to the Blue Hole." It's 50 miles away and requires almost 20 hours of sea travel to get there. In my opinion, it's probably not worth wasting a day to do it from Ambergris. Not that there's anything wrong with Ambergris, b/c you can probably get a little island fever in the atolls, but if you're a serious diver, the atolls will blow you away.

Also, if you like horseback riding, try the Banana Bank lodge on the mainland. Extremely hard and rugged riding through swamps and open fields. An unforgettable experience.

Don't expect pampering in Belize. All accommodations are cheap and you get what you pay for. The mosquitos can be terrible (as well as some other bugs you never thought you'd encounter), but with the right attitude, you'll love it. It took us two trips to get in the right state of mind, but we're going back again in November.

May 20th, 1999, 06:20 AM
Brent

Whoops, looks like a misplaced decimal point there!
Actually it takes more like 2 hours to get to the Blue Hole from Ambergris Caye.
It IS a full day trip though, and the trip normally includes wall dives on Turneffe.
The barrier reef is at most 1/2 mile offshore Ambergris Caye, it almost touches the shore on the north end.
There are some great dive sites on the island as well as on the outer cayes.
Where one goes to dive is all a matter of preference, some people enjoy some non-diving activities and others would rather concentrate on diving.
Wherever you go you are sure to have a great time!

Search this Thread