Anyone driven in the Yucatan/Cancun areas

Aug 1st, 2000, 10:51 AM
chris

Anyone driven in the Yucatan/Cancun areas

I'm contemplating renting a car on an upcoming vacation to Cancun to explore the various pyramids, etc. Is this as dangerous as I've been warned? What are the roads like? I thought Cancun was the mini-U.S. of Mexico. Thoughts appreciated.

Aug 1st, 2000, 06:28 PM
dmotl

consider renting a taxi for about $10-$12 per hour. Make sure the driver speaks survival Enlgish. Beats the hassle of driving yourself to say nothing of the potential legal liability.
Also look in to the public bus system --it is dirt cheap and the buses are often nicer than in the US.

Aug 2nd, 2000, 05:34 AM
texasgirl

i have driven a little around cancun and think as long as you're reasonably careful _ don't drive at night, learn the local rules of the road, etc. _ you will be fine. The road all the way down to Tulum is good _ four lane all the way to playa del cramen _ it's well-marked, and easy to navigate. We drove to coba and to chichen itza a few years ago, and the roads weren't quite as good, though there is so much development in this area, that may have changed. I have taken buses, taxis and cars all over mexico, and each has its advantages, but in yucatan i really like the freedom of a car.....

Aug 2nd, 2000, 08:43 AM
Sharoon

It's very easy to get around on the Yucatan. The roads are good, no problemo! We have been going down there for over ten years now and we always rent a car. The freedom you have for exploring makes all the difference in the world! If you would like more info on this area, please feel free to email me. [email protected]
http://akumal-sevenseas.com

Aug 13th, 2000, 03:12 PM
Marty

I have driven all over Mexico, including Yucatan, with no problems. Danger is definitely over-rated. I have driven alone & with others. Main roads are OK, but secondary roads can be very pot-holed & rough. And Cancun IS the mini-US of Mexico--I would never stay there!

Aug 27th, 2000, 08:20 AM
Brenda

Marty, You don'tsugest Cancun. I loved it, but I didn't really see that much of the other islands because we were with a tour group. Just went a few places they had planed. Where do you suggest a person go? I really love the beaches, shopping, and snorkeling. Not the night life

Aug 28th, 2000, 05:39 AM
Karen

Check out cancunmap.com. The maps available there are invaluable. Also drive/taxi/bus to Chichen-Itza is a long ride from Cancun - consider doing air tour.

Aug 31st, 2000, 02:10 PM
Kandy

I would just take a bus if I were you. They come along about every five minutes. Renting a car would be a waste of money because you really can get just about anywhere in the hotel Zone. If you go on tours, you usually have your transportation provided.
Hope this helps!
Kandy

Jan 22nd, 2001, 08:17 PM
Bea

Hi Chris,
So I know this is likely after your visit, but I just saw this site. I've driven in Cancun twice. It's the ONLY way to go if you speak a little spanish. Let me know how it went if you've already gone if not I'll give you tips.