Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Any information about Ramon's Village on Ambergis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Joyce

We're looking into a week in Belize and are considering Ramon's Village. We stayed in Mata Chica a few years ago. Lovely place but too far out. Looking for a relaxing, kick-back, resort for couples rather than families. Ramon's or any other suggestions?

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 03:08 AM
Eva

Stayed at Ramon's a couple of years ago. It's a perfectly pleasant resort with clean, well-equipped rooms (we stayed in a thatched-roof suite). Nice restaurant on site, with an cool serpentine pool. The bar, the Purple Parrot, was pretty lively (one of Jimmy Buffett's top 10 waterfront watering holes). The best part: its location within barefoot walking distance to everything in San Pedro. Most of the guests were couples, and seemed to be dive-oriented. We found it a great jumping-off point for our various adventures. I have a report (with photos) on my personal website: www.homestead.com/islandtime/MainPage1.html. Or drop me a note if you have any questions.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 05:18 AM
joyce

Thanks for the input. Sounds like you have done lots of traveling. Due to frequent flyer miles, we also have the possibility of getting to Puerto Rico instead of Belize....we love to snorkle, though, and Puerto Rico doesn't seem the place. Got any other ideas for a moderate, but not skimpy mid winter break?<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Eva

Mid-winter tends to rule out the Bahamas; there is some great snorkeling to be found in the Out Islands (Abacos), but the water is too cool for many. However, travel a bit down the chain, and you get yourself to the Turks and Caicos ... world-class diving and snorkeling here. We've visited Providenciales a couple of times (before the all-inclusives arrived in force) and found great snorkeling just off the breathtaking 12-mile long Grace Bay beach. This March, we are going to try Grand Turk ... from what we understand, here there is less action/development, great beaches, great snorkeling and diving, lower prices.<BR><BR>Other favorite destinations are the BVI (wide range of prices) and Grenada/Grenadines (cheap to stay in Grenada, expensive to get there). Grenada is not the best snorkeling destination, but Sandy Island off Carriacou is oustanding, as are the Grenadines.<BR><BR>Don't know about snorkeling in Puerto Rico, but San Juan is great!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Katie Valk

Ramon's is lively and they do a good job there of making their guests happy. You might want to think about Victoria House, less than 2 miles from town, but quieter than Ramon';s and more couples and upscale.<BR><BR>Katie Valk<BR>Belize

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Lan Sluder

Ramon's does have a great location, within walking distance of everything in town, and it's definitely one of the spots that seems to get a more active crowd. The beach here is pretty good, too.<BR><BR>On the downside, it's kinda pricey for what you get and with 60 units on the beachside, plus the new addition, "Steve & Becky's Cute Little Hotel," on the other side of the street, things are a bit jammed up.<BR><BR>I'd agree with Katie that Victoria House would be another option, and their new pool is fantastic.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 12:13 PM
C. Rich

Jear Joyce:<BR><BR>My wife and I traveled through Belize on an adventure/vacation two years ago,and stayed at several places on Ambergris. I personally would not recommend Ramon's. It is right in the middle of town, and is wedged between rows of other hotels/restaurants/shops. The "beach" in front is nothing great - right on the boardwalk (i.e, no privacy) and is mostly piles of sargassum with too much trash. Gets noisy at night. Ramon's is done in the "tiki hut syle" but upon closer inspection it just looks hokey - (i.e., more like disneyland's version of "tropical" than contextual. Compared to Chan Chich, Lamanai, Mata Chica, which are the real deal, I think you would be disapppointed. I don't know why Ramon's gets such a buzz in the travelogues. Nice pool though.<BR><BR>"Town" (San Pedro)has some laid-back-kind-of-junky charm, but I wouldn't want to spend a week there. Victoria House is colonial, classic, and if you stay in town I would look into that (maybe a night or two in town so you can eat at Elvi's Kitchen). But you can get to town from anywhere fairly easily.<BR><BR>Now, as to a solution. We stayed 5 days at Captain Morgans. A short boatride (or adventurous golf cart ride) to the other, quiet, side of Ambergris Caye. Excellent service, fantastic pool, immaculately kept grounds, romantic/simple "open air" mahogany casitas and very nice new air conditioned two-story units behind them (we upgraded to these and wow were they nice!). As it was mostly honeymooners when we were there, we hardly saw anyone. The beach is picture perfect (hammocks, coconut palms, bar at the pool). There is frequent boat service by the Resort into town for dinner or exploring. <BR><BR>If you want a romantic getaway on Ambergris (and I looked at virtually EVERY hotel there), This is the best bet all around. <BR><BR>Best Travels!<BR><BR>C. Rich, Portland, Oregon<BR><BR>p.s. For a real splurge look into Cayo Espanto. For hippie, youth hostile lodgings, look into anywhere on Caye Caulker.<BR><BR> <BR><BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Joyce

Thanks C. Rich. We'll look at Captain Morgan's. Also took a internet look at Cayo Espanto. Lovely, but quite a splurge. Did you see, or heard anything about Portofino?

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Peggy

Joyce,<BR>If Mata Chica was too far out for you, Portofino's is a bit north of that. I've heard good things about it. We are booked for there this April. The website looked great & dealing with the couple that owns it was nice. Then we transfer to Cayo Espanto. C. Rich, have you been there? I have had contact with 2 people who have gone & they loved it.<BR>Since you guys have been to Belize, how are the mosquitos/no-see-ums in April? Hoping not to get bit up on Ambergris Caye before going to Cayo, where at least I've heard no one saw a biting bug of any type! Thanks & let us know what you decided Joyce!

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Lan Sluder

Peggy,<BR><BR>Let us know how Portofino turns out. There was a public and rather nasty disagreement between the old management and the new management/owners soon after it finally opened late in the fall, and reports so far have come in mixed.<BR><BR>Cayo Espanto is certainly nice, but incredibly expensive for Belize (or even for St. Barths). I've been banging around Belize for about 12 years and, looking back, it's almost impossible to imagine that any hotel with rates of US$1000 or more a night would have ever opened in Belize.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Peggy

Thanks, yes I will let you know. Katie had reported a recent trip & said the resort was beautiful, pool in & seemed to be running smoothly. We figure there are enough other accommodations, just in case something went wrong. We are primarily going for Cayo Espanto though, and we did get a better deal through LuxuryLink. Private islands have been our indulgence in the South Pacific but our experience is that the price has been worth it! I'll let you know after my visit!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 08:57 PM
searching

I completely agree with C. Rich's assessment of Ramon's Village. In short, the place sucks. There are so many huts jammed together that it's positively stifling to just walk through the place - no air circulation at all! I don't even care to imagine what it must be like trying to sleep there at night. The food at the restaurant and gift shop are very overpriced, and I didn't find the staff at all friendly - the girl working in the gift shop was anything but. The beach isn't anything to get excited about, either, and I found it very crowded - mostly with people who appeared to be trying to look impressive.<BR><BR>Now, Captain Morgan's, on the other hand... What a wonderful place! Had I known then what I know now, that's where I would have stayed. I was happy with the Paradise Hotel, which is where I did stay, but I didn't know about Captain Morgan's when I made my reservation at the Paradise.<BR><BR>The one drawback to Captain Morgan's is that it's outside of town, and a bit far to walk back and forth. So, renting transportation is necessary. Golf carts are the main form of transport, and they're a lot of fun but a bit on the spendy side - I think they were $30-$40 daily when I was there. You can get a better rate by the week, though. I'd check with Captain Morgan's to see if they can arrange for their guests to get a better deal.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Gail

Would you recommend Capt Morgan's for a family with a 14 and 15 year old? Going end of March. Thanks.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Katie

Thanks for your info. We had almost booked into Ramons but will reconsider now. Do you have a web site address for Captain Morgan's?

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 05:50 PM
searching

Gail - Sure! I think the teenagers would have a fine time there, especially if you rent a golf cart. They can tool around the resort area in the cart - lots of fun. I don't think they should venture so far as to drive into San Pedro, though.<BR><BR>I'm assuming they know how to swim, so I think they'll love the pool. They can also go snorkelling right off the beach - which is lovely, by the way.<BR><BR>Be sure to take them on one of the boat tours that goes to Shark/Ray Alley. They'll get to snorkel in the midst of real sharks (harmless nurse sharks) and sting rays! The Hol Chan Marine Reserve is also a wonderful place to snorkel - you'll need to sign up for a tour in order to get there, too. I imagine the staff at Captain Morgan's can help with the arrangements; if not, there are lots of outfits in San Pedro that offer tours (avoid Excaliber - I wasn't impressed with their "service"). I've heard good things about Hustler Tours, but didn't have the chance to go with them.<BR>------------------------------------<BR><BR>Katie - Yep! Here it is: http://www.captainmorgans.com<BR> <BR>This one also works: <BR>http://www.belizevacation.co <BR><BR><BR>