Any good deals on AI's in Mexico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of going to Mexico, but wanted to keep it under $3000 for both of us with flight. Does anyone know of a good Ai that might be in this price range? Thanks
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I forgot to mention we have to go either the first or second week in march.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:04 PM

I don't know where you will be flying out of. a lot depends on the airline travel. the first and second week of March are prime weeks. Let me know what city you will be leaving from and I will get back to you. I am going to P. Vallarta the 26th of March and we are spending $2400 leaving from Phila and not all inclusive although it does include some food.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 02:21 PM
owa

Butsey, Where are you staying in PV? Have you been there before? I'm looking at going at Christmas with 10 family members. Any information would be great. Owa

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 03:36 AM

$3,000 may still be doable, but Christmas is the most expensive time to go. Book early!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:07 AM

owa I have stayed at many places our favorite place is the Sheraton it is close to town and we have met many many nice people who work there so it kind of feels very familiar. In March we stayed at the Camino Real a little older than the Sheraton but they do have a new tower bldg, it has the best beach and also is close to town but you cannot walk to town because it is a mountain road, I highly recommend this hotel they always have great deals. Last month at the beginning of Dec we stayed at the Fiesta Americana Great hotel great staff great food but I wouldn't go there again had a few problems and the front desk was impossible to deal with. Also recomend the Marriott my daughter stayed there. Nice hotel but in the Marina which is not close to town. I don't know where you will be flying from but any pkg will give you the best hotels there are not that many that are top rated remember when you are going to Mexico their top rated hotel is not what we have as top rated in the U.S. They are all very nice the difference is the food and the service. If you need any more info just email me at [email protected]. Hope I helped Good Luck
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 11:30 AM

just was in PV for 12 days in Dec during Christmas.....Loved the town and the friendly people and felt lucky to have discovered the Buenaventura Hotel.Great helpful staff,good food ,and a wonderful location...We walked everyday into town 10 minutes ,El Centro and the in Old Town and back...3 pools and a nice beach...Lots of families and the hours of the AI were very user friendly...Breakfast Buffet started 7AM and was opened until noon and lunch served noon until 6PM and Dinner started at 7PM and I think was open until 10 and each night the menu changed and they had a wide selection....Hope to go back next year and stay longer...We booked through Applevacations and got a great price for 12 days...
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:24 PM
owa

Thanks Butsey and Barry for your suggestions. We are from South Dakota and Minnesota. We basically use Nortthwest Airlines, which means we fly out of Minneapolis. I'm going to also look into villas--don't know if that will be more expensive though. Appreciate the help. Owa

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:25 PM

I am going to mention that AI's smother the local economy. I realize people can choose where they stay, but it is important to realize the income that is not realized to individuals who make so little to begin with because of these places. I've talked to restuarant owners in the Mexican Caribbean who detest them and they convinced me of their reasons. I personally have never stayed in an AI and never will, not only for the reason just mentioned, but also they don't allow for a genuine experience in the country you're visiting. Just thought I'd express my opinion on the subject.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:02 PM

owa...Ican see that from South Dakota you want to go to Mexico.
Greg:
There is nothing wrong with Ai and I have been to every place in Mexico except Huatalco.
90% of the travel package deal from my city are trip that are AI.
The Mexican that work in these resorts are quite happy and when make friends with them I give them extra tip and I make sure I tip the maid everyday.
They ARE happy for the volume of tourist that come totheir resorts from the USA and Canada etc.
Also, when you make blanket statements like you have done about AI...you really do not know who you are talking to.
Maybe you have 2 people that are in their late 50's or 60's or 70's and they just want to relax by the pool and have their AI and NOT go to where you go to eat because there might be good and big Margeritas there and the Happy Hours has drinks for 50% off etc.

Because just maybe , these people have been there,done that, got the t-shirt.
Also I do not think your dinning habits in Mexico are of anyone's great interest.
I have NEVER talk to a Mexican worker at a resorts who told me , "Gee I sure hates these AI."
I have done the AI and also the non Ai..there is no big deal about either one.
Also look at the question that Sparks asked:
Any Good Deals on AI's in Mexico.

His question was not : "give me your personal opinion of AI's."
Where ever you have dined in Mexico I can say that I have been there, done that ,got the t- shirt.
Percy

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:26 PM

Percy, the few employees at the AI are happy, but MANY others in the area are not. Like I said, people can exercise their choice - I just wanted to mention this point to educate others of their effects they may not realize. It's important to understand what travel agents don't tell you.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:50 PM

Greg:
I respect your answer.
But I have never taked to a resort employee who ever stated to me that he wishes us tourist would not go AI.
I have many good friends in Mexico.
We send e mails back and forth for about 3 years now.
Almost all of them are tour guides.
I get the low down on many things in Mexico from them,as to employment, ecomony etc.
When many tourist come to their resorts , whether they do the AI or eat out in other places...they are quite happy we are there.
But I will tell you what.
I will e - mail Celso in Acapulco right now and and Gary(yes he is Mexican) and he is in Ixtapa and ask them to give me their opinion on what the hotel employees think of AI's
I will give my comment from THEM, not me , when I get their reply.
But I do thank you for your point of view.
Percy
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Ok I am going to get in on this. Until a few years ago all inclusive wasn't even heard of. Everoyne is entitled to their opinion of course, I too have been to Mexico so many time so many different places, I personally do not prefer all inclusive the only reason is that I prefer to go to the many different restaurants at different locations I do not like to be committed to eating 3 meals a day at the same place. We just stayed at the Fiesta Americana in P. Vallarta in December and all inclusive was offered but we decided not to take it. Although the food was excellent and we ate breakfast and lunch there and even had dinner there 3 nights I still prefer to have a change of scenery. No need to get in on a debate I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. To sparks if you really need an all inclusive there are only 2 in P. Vallarta I would say come highly recommended they are the Fiesta Americana and the Premier. Good Luck again.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Butsey
I agree with you.
First your choices in PV are good and second you choices on how you are going to dine is also good and your personal choice.

Like you I have done AI and non AI.
From my City many times the AI choice is much cheaper than doing the air fare and then the hotel accommodations and then the transportation to and from the airport , and then the drinks etc.

So let us say, that Ido not do the Ai and it costs me say $1800.00 for the week , but if I do the AI then it cost me $1395.00 as the package deal.
To me this means I have $400.00 saved to go out to dine elsewhere and experience other places at my liesure.

For some unknown reason,those that do not like or want to do AI ..feel they have to firmly voice their opinon against this dinning method.
I have never read ,on this posting nor on other postings..somebody say" Hey,if you go there you MUST do the AI".

But what you always hear is "don't do the AI ,there are so many nice places to eat here and there and everywhere."

That is why either way I do not tell people about their dinning preference.

I feel that somewhere, in some City, they sat down with their travel agent and got ,what to them was a good deal and they are happy with it and with their trip to Mexico.
Maybe they have been to PV five times and to Cancun times ..they know all about AI and not AI.

I do not know what it is about anti AI people.
Percy

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:19 AM

Percy Like I said it's all a matter of preference some people like to know in advance what they are going to spend, When we had the opportunity to go all inclusive at the Fiesta Americana it was about $1000 for the both of us We decided that for that much we can eat wherever we wanted to. in the end it came to about the same. We just don't like to eat at the same place for the entire week. We originally were going to an all inclusive that was so cheap we could have gone out if we wanted to, but we changed hotels at the last minute. So again it's a matter of preference I wouldn't sway anyone one way or another.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Thanks butsey.
If we ever bump into each other I'll buy you a beer.
percy
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:55 AM

ok that will be fine