Search

Antigua, Guatemala

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 02:17 PM
Patty

Antigua, Guatemala

I will be attending a spanish language school in Antigua next summer. Any information on the weather, what to see, what to take, the town, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Also, any travel advisories for a woman traveling alone? Thanks, Patty

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 03:25 PM

Hi, <BR> <BR>Antigua guatemala is quite safe. However it has no airport so I suppose you are flying into Guatemala City. You can get a bus for about $5 to antigua ( probably less ) but buses run early and finish early. When I was in Antigua there was a volcano that you could not walk up without armed guides ( there is agua, fuego and acontenagua or something... <BR>Acontenuagua was out of bounds. I stayed with a spanish school and there is a bar called La Chiminea (the chimney) which is full of anglicised prats taking their first trip through 'hipppiedom'. It is not hippiedom and you may get KILLED if you're stupid!! If you';re normal and you hide your valuables ( under your clothes in a very tight bum bag - after all if you wear a bum bag like a spacehopper it is hard to disguise). However I found Ajntigua OK and I tought anglos for a week. Enjoy yourself, Antigua is very cosmopolitan ( too much for me ) and there really are no problems if you heed current local advice. See my site http://www.softreq.co.uk and follow the Guate link if you want more.... don't be afraid to E-mail.

Old Jul 11th, 1998, 07:39 AM
Cathy

Hi there! <BR>We've been to Antigua and Guatemala about 10 times, and each time I find something new and exciting about the place. <BR> <BR>We have also attended lanugage school there and have had nothing but positive experiences. We did not climb the volcanoes--1). because I am not athletic; and 2). because it can be dangerous because of robbery and assaults. <BR> <BR>If you are not careful, being out late at night alone can be an invitation to trouble. So common sense should dictate your schedule and activites. <BR> <BR>Plenty to see and do in Antigua. It is a gem of a colonial city with many ruins and historic buildings. If you are into antiquities, check out the enviorns of the restaurant and hotel: Convento de Santo Domingo, the ruins of Las Capuchinas; the crypt and site of the Cathedral ruins--among other places. <BR> <BR>The museums and markets are worth the visit, and if your school was anything like ours, you can go with your tutor during class times to see these places. <BR> <BR>Many restaurants and GREAT coffee and pastry shops--Dona Louisa's tops them all. <BR> <BR>If you want more info and personal insights, you can e-mail me directly. <BR> <BR>Buena suerte y buen viaje! <BR> <BR>Cathy <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 14th, 1998, 09:20 AM
Patty

Cathy, thank you for the Antigua update. I really think I would like learning spanish there. Have you ever been there in June or July? Will the days be hot and the nights cool? I am not a cold weather person so, I want to be sure and take the proper clothing. Thanks again, Patty

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 02:59 PM
nancy

I live here in antigua. The weather now is the rainy season. when are you coming??? Do you know what school you want to go to???? Write me for TONS of info! <BR>-Nancy <BR>[email protected]