Another Trip to PV By Myself....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2023, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have started going to PV and love the place. I stay at a good resort, I always do the VIP Rhythms of the Night, and in January I'll be adding a sunset cruise and some other fun things. I don't care about cost. The downside is that it's sometimes tough alone. When I am out on the water, at a bar, etc., I sometimes think that it would be fun to be with a local woman just for enjoying that kind of thing, but I know how hard it is to find. The only time I talk to anyone is when I am interacting with people in the hotel or restaurants. There aren't many other opportunities.
Any suggestions on powering through the part of always being alone on trips like this? Any tips would be appreciated.
Old Nov 26th, 2023, 05:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have gone solo to Puerto Vallarta for many years. My focus isn't meeting people, but I usually do. I don't stay at 'resorts' rather a local hotel or rent a condo or apartment. I talk to people around the pool, on the beach, at a gym I go to, just more every day kind of things. I've never felt the need but there are free walking tours offered from the tourist bureau, you could sign up for a cooking class or a tequila workshop or something. I go to Zumba every morning in the plaza, there are both men and women there. I read posters and banners you see up on lamp posts to find interesting local events. Just a couple weeks ago I was dancing in the streets (literally) at a Tribute to Rock and Disco event with 6 DJs in Lazaro Cardenas plaza (the one with all the sparkly tile). I've been to gallery openings, book readings, just sitting at the more quiet bars around town.

PV is kinda my place so let me know if I can help further... suze

ps - edited to add as far as meeting a local woman, do you speak fluent Spanish? That would help

Old Nov 27th, 2023, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Suze,
Wow - thanks for your reply. Very helpful! Muchas gracias. I think we have been in touch on Trip Advisor earlier this year. You gave me a lot of great info. I won't go out of my way to meet anyone, and I will be okay alone, but I thought it might be fun to do something with someone else maybe once.
I appreciate your suggestions.

P.S. Hablo español un poco. Estoy aprendiendo el idioma. No es facil. ¿Y tú?
Old Nov 27th, 2023, 01:07 PM

Sure you can meet people. It was just the idea of hoping for a beautiful (OK my word -haha) local Mexican woman that gave me pause.

I've met all kinds of people. More often traveling single I seem to be 'adopted' by a family or a couple than finding other single travelers of either gender, but all those things have happened.

I guess if I was tossing out unasked for advice I'd say skip the 'resort', the paid-for tourist cruises, and just take some time to walk around town. Hang out at a beach bar.

Guesing as a single person, it just might be the "good resort" and doing super touristy paid activities that may be limiting who you meet and talk with.

My Spanish is basic but I try to learn. Hotel maids are my best teachers. And I always carry a dictionary and phrase book although now you can look up stuff easily on your phone or laptop.
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Where are these beach bars and all the concentrations of street food, etc. I have walked from Zona Romantica up the Malecon through 5 de Deciembre. I see some food vendors along the way, but nothing like the photos of all the stuff I see in photos. Is there a certain part of town?
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 01:22 PM

The beach bars and restaurant in Zona Romantica are on Playa Los Muertos (name of the beach). They are on either side of the Pier (noticeable and in many photos) with a boardwalk (that comes and goes) for at least a couple dozen places in various price points.

Where are you seeing these photos? It this an Instagram thing? As far as food vendors there are taco stand up in the neighborhood... just walk inland in Zona Romantica. I can name streets for you if you want to go 'local'.

But it would really help to know where you are staying (you don't have to name the resort but at least the part of town). Just sayin' if you are in the Marina or north Hotel Zone there are many more local streets with taco vendors closer than going to Old Town.

always, suze
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. I stay at the Villa Premiere. I walk everywhere as I haven't figured out the buses yet. I haven't made it down to Playa Los Muertos (weird name) yet, but I will check it out. I made it down to zona Romantic last year, but didn't see too much that I liked. I think I need to go farther. I watch a lot of videos on YouTube - Aly Smalls has a good channel. I can't remember whose channels I saw last year, but I remember all the outdoor places.
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 08:04 AM

Playa Los Muertos is the name of the beach in Zona Romantica. Not sure how to answer if you went but didn't see much you liked there? Maybe go on a Saturday morning for the Olas Altas Farmers Market? Or sometime when there is an event (music, dance, etc.) in Lazaro Cardenas park (the one with all the sparkly tiles). Or do actually try out the beach there. You easily see the Pier as a landmark and the beach is lined with bars and restaurants of all kinds. Some people love it some find it too busy (there are vendors, activities, etc.).

Buses are not difficult to use but I usually walk everywhere. I use a taxi from and to the airport and maybe if I went grocery shopping.

Sorry I only know what I know in person (and fill in on Trip Advisor) I've never done PV planning on the internet, so you know more than I do about that!

bienvenidos/welcome
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 11:35 AM

Maybe need to clarify that statement of course I use the internet to purchase a plane ticket, research then book a hotel or apartment or condo.

But I've never planned a trip by watching other people's vacations to get ideas for what I want to do. For me, by staying in Old Town independently, reading the banners about events, talking to people, I've always found plenty to see and do on my own and pretty much all for free.

Just saying different experiences. Nothing wrong with a boat trip (parasailing, ATVing, etc.) or whatever if that's more your interest. But if you are getting the info off youtube and insta then not enjoying the experience... that's what made me wonder. And sure I could take a guess at why what you have seen online looks more appealing than when you see it in person, when it is blogs, insta, people with 'followers' etc.
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 11:47 AM

Speaking of the internet - Have you seen this website?
https://vallartainfo.com/puerto-vallarta-bay-map/
https://vallartainfo.com/street-food/
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 12:12 PM

The daughter of a friend of mine owns a restaurant off the Malecon- No Se’ Nada. I know they have music on the weekends and it’s not very big so you might meet someone there.
I have done some things with Vallarta Adventures. Try a snorkel trip with them or one of their other adventures.
I know there are cooking tours of PV - even if you don’t like to cook it’s something that might attract single women
On Sunday night they have dancing in the square by the arches. Lots of food trucks too.
There is a tourist information center in the city hall with many brochures and information on things to do.
Hope you find someone to have fun with. .
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 05:11 AM

There is a retreat center close to PV - i forget the name - wonderful relaxed place in nature. by hone creek. but they host mindful groups and you meet people and interact with them. and they do excursions in the PV area as well. and the staff is genial and can guide you on places to go and things to do.
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 08:43 AM

https://xinalaniretreat.com/
Are you posting about this one?
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 04:10 PM

When is your trip? Are you traveling yet?
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
When is your trip? Are you traveling yet?
I will leave on Tuesday, January 2nd and will return on Saturday, the 6th. I hate writing about the return part! When are you there?
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 08:42 AM

Too short!

I was there last month for 10 days. Don't have the next one planned yet.

Enjoy!!
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I hope you had a great time!
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 06:45 PM

Absolutely. It was fantastic. It always is. I have never had a bad trip to Puerto Vallarta (I quit counting but I know I've been at least 30x -lol).