Ambergris Caye in under a week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow - great site. My husband and I are heading to Ambergris Caye on Jan 16/06 and are staying at the Banana Beach. Any posts I have found have been from some time in the past. I was wondering if anyone has been recently and how was it? We are planning to do a lot of snorkling. We have our own gear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Try going to www.belizeforum.com and searching in the accommodation section for Banana Beach - you should get lots of opinions (most recent last).
Have a great trip!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:03 AM

Many people enjoy Banana Beach. Looks too much like a motel for my tastes, but it gets great reviews. The price is right, the rooms are nice, the included breakfast is a plus. I like to stay closer to town, but walking is good for you, and cabs are cheap.

We've done our snorkeling with Amigos del Mar. Very small groups, usually only four or five of us. Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley are great fun. Mexico Rocks is pretty neat too.

For an inland excusion, I can't say enough good things about Tanisha Tours and their trip to the ruins at Lamanai. Very long day, but worth every minute of it.

Have a great time on AC, we head back in March.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:08 AM

not familiar with BB, but most of the snorkeling off the beach isn't that great, mostly do to the seagrass. The best trip I had was a half day snorkel trip that I booked through our hotel. We were picked up via boat and went snorkelling at three different locations with a break in the middle for lunch at a deserted island. It was awesome. Just ask you hotel or local guides and they should know of it and enjoy.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:07 PM

I think you'll enjoy BB. It's in a good location... close enough to walk to town, but far enough away from the hustle and bustle. BB also has a tour operator on site so you'll be able to book all your snorkeling excursions through them.

You are going to have a great trip... Enjoy!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. Only 4 more days. I can't wait. I found an interesting site as my husband is quite interested in sailing. Has anyone had any experiences with Sailsport Belize? We are looking at taking their Catamaran course for a day.