Search

Ambergris advise/ Ruins

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ambergris advise/ Ruins

Going to stay at San Pedro for 5 nights and want to know who has the best combination of nice accomadations (Victoria house, Captain Morgans?) and nice beach (swimming, lounging)

We're also staying at Chaa creek and want to know if Tikal is worth the trip or will local ruins provide the same experience?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:43 AM

Tikal is possibly the most impressive ruin in the entire maya empire, so no, nothing else will be similiar and you should plan to spend a day there. You'll love Chaa Creek.

Both CM and VH are great, both a very decent stretches of beach. VH is more upscale and only two miles south of town and CM is more laid back, further from town, which you can only reach, for the most part, but water taxi.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Do you know how often the water taxis go to and from San Pedro?
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:07 AM

The watertaxis to and from North Ambergris where Captain Morgan's is located run on demand, though it is not always easy getting a water taxi when you want it late at night (US$5 per person each way). There also is a scheduled water taxi, roughly hourly. Some North Ambergris resorts also have occasional free shuttle boats into town. In addition, you can go by golf cart from town to Captain Morgan's and two or three miles farther north, though the hand-pulled ferry over the river channel (US$2.50 round trip for a golf cart) currently stops operation around 8 p.m.

Of the two places you mention (and I've stayed at both), I'd vote for Victoria House. But there are many other excellent choices in all price categories. My fave for value, attractive digs, friendly folks and good swimming would probably be Banana Beach.

--Lan Sluder <San Pedro Cool, the only guidebook to Ambergris Caye>
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:20 AM

I HIGHLY recommend Victoria House. It is by far the nicest accomadations, with full canopy beds and overall comfort. It has wonderful food, we found it was the best restaurant in all of San Pedro. GORGEOUS swimming pool, I spent quite alot of time either in it our sitting around it. The bar is lovely, always open and the staff is very warm and welcoming. They serve food during the day where they have the most amazing fish tacos I've ever had. And the service is perfection, they actually sent someone into town just to get me a safety pin. The only thing that I found dissapointing was the beach, there wasn't much of one and the water isn't the clear turqoise i expected, but when I took a walk down the beach it's still by far the nicest on the island. It's also really easy to get into town, they rent free bikes or you can take the shuttle which runs about every half hour. They also have a really great scuba shop and great day trips. We went cave tubing inland Belize which was a blast. But who knows, I've only stayed at VH and had a look at the others. Hope you have a great trip whichever you decide.