Search

ALTITUDE SICKNESS IN CUSCO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 1998, 07:50 AM
JUDY

ALTITUDE SICKNESS IN CUSCO

ANY INSIGHT, SUGGESTIONS OR INFORMATION ON ALTITUDE SICKNESS IN CUSCO WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS!

Old Jul 14th, 1998, 06:41 PM
chris

spent 10daysCusco Drank lots of cocotea and had small headache for several days but too much to see to worry believe you get use to altitude I live in fla. below sea level Cusco was one of my favorite spots and i travel a bit DONT LET ALTITUDE STOP Y

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 05:34 PM
judi, from Michigan

JUDY, <BR>When are you leaving for Cusco? We leave July 31 <BR>and our first stop is even higher altitude at LaPaz, Bolivia and Lake Titicaca. I, too, am concerned and plan to drink a lot of bottled water and take Ginseng and Ginko tablets which, I've heard, can help a little. Also, staying clear of alcohol and caffeine. I may or maynot try the Coca Tea. I'll post a follow-up when I return to let you know if anything worked.

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 05:54 PM
judi, from Michigan

Please see my reply posted July 26.

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 04:33 PM
Dave

We went with a group of middle-age and older people. None of us had a problem in Cuzco except walking fast up the hilly streets. I think the coca tea was psychological. We had a small amount of alcohol with dinner without problem.

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 04:31 PM
David

I contracted a small cold ( or so I thought ) in Lima prior to departing for Cusco. After a day there <BR>in the altitude this cold turned into 10 days in the Cusco clinic with pulmonary edima ( altitude sickness) and a medi-vac ride back to Lima. I nearly died and was 2 years getting back to normal. I was 32 at the time, an avid tennis player and snow skier and in really great shape.I would recommend being very carefull because a small cold or flu type symptoms can be deadly at altitude. After all my trouble I never made it to the ruins and almost did'nt make it home alive. I'm sure this is not the normal experience but something to be aware of. David