Altitude sickness and children

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Peru (Lima, Cuzco, MP) in March 2005 with our two kids, 11 and 13, both petit for their ages. Anyone knows how the altitude affects the kids? My husband and I skied a number of times in CO and were OK, but we are wondering about them. Any suggestions in addition to everything I read here? Thanks!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:02 AM

You might post a similar question, without the Latin America territory named, on the Europe board. There's also some smart peoples on that one.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 05:46 AM

not problem travel with kids 11 or 13 years old we have traveled with our twins 6 years old in Peru to Huancayo and it has the same altitde than cusco about 3400 msl, when we traveled to Cusco we spend two days relax for aclimate the latitude and on March not problem is not rainig season it was two years ago, we were assisted by this site I hope they can assist You
WWW.PERUTOURISTINFORMATION.COM
Nice trip
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 10:28 AM

It depends on the kids. The only way to find out if your kids will have a problem is to try it. Many years ago, we went to Colorado and New Mexico with our 9 year old son. He had a terrible time the first time we went up into the mountains--headache, clammy skin, woozey, trouble breathing. We headed down right away and it turned out OK. But it was a bit frightening.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 11:00 AM

I too had a bad time in Colorado as a kid. My first few days at a dude ranch were slighty scary. I could not catch my breath and could not understand why (too young-8). After a few days I could get back to the serious stuff- ridin' and shootin'. Your kids are older and should be able to understand what is happening.