Search

altitude issues Cusco

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
altitude issues Cusco

I have a prescription for diamax. We're immediately going to Sacred Valley from Cusco airport. When should I take the diamax....before leaving U.S>? or just before goingto Cusco from SV????
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 04:28 PM

You should check with your doctor, but I was told to start taking mine the day before I arrived at high altitude.

The Sacred Valley is still pretty high. The one time I forgot to take my pill was in the Sacred Valley, and I ended up with a debilitating headache.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

My dr. gave me 4 pills...two for day before leaving and two the day of arrival. There is a refill on the prescription. If we go to Sacred Valley first, should I take them again before arrival to Cusco?
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 06:44 PM

My doctor gave me enough for the day before I arrived and the entire time I was in the Sacred Valley and Cusco (as did the doctors for the four other members of our group), so I have no idea.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Take it. Don't let anyone scare you away from it.

While in Cuzco and the SV, you will get winded more eaisly, especially if you're not in great shape. SO just take it slow. You can minimize the problem by doing your cardio workouts before you go.

But, when it comes to altitude sickness, you don't know who's going to get hit by it and who won't. It's the luck of the draw and not related to your fitness level.

Why risk being sick on your vacation.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Jed

This is from the CDC:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBoo...deIllness.aspx

"
Acetazolamide (Diamox) can prevent AMS when taken before ascent and can speed recovery if taken after symptoms have developed. The drug appears to work by acidifying the blood, which causes an increase in respiration and thus aids in acclimatization. An effective dose that minimizes the common side effects of increased urination and paresthesias of the fingers and toes is 125 mg every 12 hours, beginning the day of ascent. However, most clinical trials have been done with higher doses of 250 mg two or three times a day."

It looks to me that you should take it the day you go to Cusco through the day you leave Cusco.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 02:28 PM

anavert ( gee, that is pretty close to antivert( for not getting dizzy!!))

Well you already have the prescription.....so in the final analysis, whether you take the Diamox or not is your choice.

I agree ( and disagree a little with JKinCalf.)

His final two paragraphs are right on.

It is the luck of the draw, and not related to your fitness level.

Therefore there is no need to do cardio workouts before you go.

No amount of exercise will help you get a "better" lung reserve to cope with the altitude sickness.

Cusco is higher than Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley on the way to Machu Picchu where I assume you are going to.

In March 2007 I took Diamox with me and did not take it when I got to Cusco.
I did not take it over the next 5 days in the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu.

I am not even going to mention what to do if you( or anyone) has heart problems because...I am sure you would see your Cardiologist before going a place like Cusco.

Just because I did not take my Diamox is not an endorsement that you should do the same.

Is the oxygen content less in Cusco than in California ...no it is not...the pressure is different...so less pressure to drive those oxygen molecules into your respiratory system.

Everyone like hills27 and JKinCalf and Jed have given you good advice... there is just no one good predicatable soultion.

Percy

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 02:33 PM

hmmm
trouble posting this...oh okay it is now posted

Percy