Alternatives to Macal River Camp

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow - Macal River Camp is already booked for the dates I wanted next February! I am so disappointed! Are there good alternatives?

I am looking for a jungley lodge with outdoor activities on-site such as hiking trails, canoes, horse-back riding, nature-tours, tubing ... we don't generally care for resorts (Bosque del Cabo in Costa Rica being a glaring exception!)

Any ideas?
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Bummer! You might like DuPlooy's which is MRJC's neighbor on the Macal River. I haven't stayed there but we peeked and it looked great. It gets great reviews, too.

http://www.duplooys.com/
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...acio_Cayo.html

We also really loved Caves Branch, spendier and with some really world class adventures.

http://www.cavesbranch.com
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...opan_Cayo.html
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...opan_Cayo.html

Keep us posted!
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 04:01 AM

Well, you know we thought Chaa Creek was exceptional. Macal River Camp is right there, in fact I seem to remember it is part of the same property. More $$ for Chaa Creek, but the grounds were superb with lots to do (we passed MRC on a hike).

We canoed up to DuPlooy's one afternoon for a drink. It looked fine, although we didn't see any of the rooms.

Wow--can't believe it is booked so early. I'm sure some of the spendier places are hurting and the moderates are filling up these days.

You'll love Cayo--great area.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 05:46 AM

My guess is a group has reserved it - it's an amazing place and has always had a following but I don't think it would have filled up 10 months in advance with individuals and f and small family groups.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I think you're right about the camp, hope. AND I just heard from them that their cheapest accommodations (cottage), at a whopping $330/nt, won't be available until February 17th. ):

Still considering it, but it'll be difficult financially and logistically.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

DH is NOT thrilled at the extra expense! So - I am hoping for 3 nights at Macal camp (they may have this available), and will post revised itinerary on my other post for your expert critique!

Shill - I know you really enjoyed it, and you have yet to steer us wrong!
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 08:06 AM

3 nights was a good amount at Macal River Jungle Camp for us - go for that if it's available. Good luck!
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 09:44 AM

I'm not sure that there's really anything comparable in price/atmosphere to MRJC so I hope changing to 3 nights works out for you.

If not, we really enjoyed our stay at duPlooys and it does have all of the features you're looking for and is less expensive and more jungly in feel than Chaa Creek to me. Even if you don't end up staying there, you can paddle over and check out their botanic garden.

We also strongly considered Black Rock further upstream from the duPlooys/Chaa Creek/MRJC area.

Good luck!
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 10:06 AM

cattail -- As far as the shared bathrooms, do you know if these are shared between two rooms or do you know how many bathrooms are shared amount how many rooms? Also, no hot water or electricity, right?
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM

That's what happened to us when we tried to book Chan Chich almost a year ahead of time. A group had it reserved. More than likely, had I waited it out, the group would have decreased in size as they probably booked more space than necessary until last minute. I didn't want to wait, so just switched hotels. Was glad I did, as I do think Chaa Creek's location was more convenient.

Good luck, ct!
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM

Hi, hip -
When we were there they had 3 or 4 composting toilets and about that many showers - nice hot water thanks to propane. No electricity but the wonderful camp host, Dolcio, goes around before dinner and lights kerosene lamps along the trails and in the cabins; by the time you finish dinner it's dark!

The meals and the cabins were wonderful, we really loved every single thing about that place.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Yes, that's what we heard too,hip. I think the oil lamps would be rather romantic! Perhaps not the composting toilets, but the earth will be happy.... Am waiting to hear back from Chaa Creek...
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 03:57 AM

That's the La Carolina atmosphere as well--it was unique and added to the experience, ct. Let us know what you find out from CC. Will try to e-mail this evening.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

I got Macal Camp for 3 nights! It does, however, change things a bit, itinerary-wise.

My itinerary now is: 2 nights Trek Stop
3 nights Macal River camp
3 nights Trek stop
1 night Tikal
1 night Trek Stop
3 nights Hopkins
5 nights Caye Caulker
I've asked to extend the Macal section a day or two if there's a cancellation on their end. Otherwise, I it looks like 6 nights in a chopped-up way at The Trek Stop. I'm sure there are worse fates!
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Patty, I did look into Black Rock; we were just about to book it, when Chaa Creek phoned us in the states!
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 09:55 PM

I'm glad MRJC has some availability and 3 nights is enough to really enjoy it. As you know, we really loved the Trek Stop, but if you don't want to head there 3 separate times you could spend the 1st 2 nights in San Ignacio at some place like Casa Blanca or Martha's, or across the bridge in Santa Elena at the Aguada, which we enjoyed last summer. You'd have access to restaurants and shopping and could do the ATM trip and/or visit Cahal Pech ruins.

I almost hate to suggest it because it would make a busier front end to your trip, but the Lamanai ruins are pretty amazing. If you stayed those 1st 2 nights at the zoo or closer to BC you could do a day trip there on your 1st full day. Just another thought to muddy the waters a little!
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 07:40 AM

I'll second the suggestion of Lamanai. It's about an hour by road from Belize City plus 1.5 hour boat ride to the ruins spotting wildlife along the way. We've stayed at Black Orchid near the small village of Burrell Boom (about 20 min from BZE) but there are many other options. hopefulist, didn't you stay somewhere around here too? You could also visit the baboon (howler monkey) sanctuary nearby though you'll see howler monkeys at Lamanai as well. Closer to the city, D'Nest gets good reviews.

Another idea if you're into birding is to spend the firsT 2 nights at Crooked Tree lagoon. The newly re-opened Crooked Tree Lodge gets good reviews.

Anyway, just some ideas for you to think about. I think you'll still have plenty of time in Cayo.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 08:10 AM
RAC

Lamanai Outpost Lodge is a great place, but similar in expense to Chaa Creek et al.

I would spend two nights at Tikal.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 09:17 AM

We stayed at the Community Baboon Sanctuary which was an interesting cultural experience. We're really happy we stayed there but I can't say it was a good value or that we'd stay there again.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Just to be clear, I was seconding the suggestion of a day trip to Lamanai. Although I agree that Lamanai Outpost Lodge is wonderful and despite the high cost I felt it was well worth it. They run specials sometimes but not always in February.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -