Alternative for Osa (WILDLIFE)

Aug 28th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Alternative for Osa (WILDLIFE)

If we can not get to Osa due to logistics, what other location affords LOTS of WILDLIFE?

We will definitely be going to Arenal... so we would like to pick one other destination - as we are planning a trip for about 8 nights and would only like 2 hotel stays (if possible).

THANKS... AGAIN!

Lisa
Aug 28th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Since you mentioned before you might like some beach time, I think Manuel Antonio would be a great choice for you! Even at some of the hotels you will see monkeys and mccaws, but you also have the Nat'l Park and beaches there. I also hear great things about the mangrove tours there (monkeys close-up, but please don't feed them).
Aug 28th, 2007, 03:11 PM

I agree with hipvirgochick that Manuel Antonio would be a good 2nd choice for wildlife. Things you will almost surely see: sloths, iguanas and all kinds of exotic lizards, squirrel monkeys, capuchin monkeys (Yes, do the mangrove tour for this), small bats up in the trees, leaf-cutter ants, these gorgeous orange & blue crabs, etc.

The above wildlife is rather common to the area, but we saw way more than this including scarlet macaws, toucans, a rainbow boa, silky anteater, poison arrow frogs, and more. I would recommend taking guided hikes with a guide who has one of those telescope-looking things. I was able to videotape right through the scope and capture the toucans on video! It was unreal.

One other place where maybe the wildlife was less plentiful, but at times more interesting was on a guided hike of the Monteverde Cloud Forest. Here we saw a whole family of howler monkeys, blue morpho butterflies, coatis, and a gorgeous quetzal. That said, going to Manuel Antonio might be more of a contrast to Arenal (MA being coastal).

No matter where you go, hire a good guide! You'll see lots of stuff.
Aug 28th, 2007, 03:56 PM

I'd be sure to go to Cano Negro when you're in Arenal; we saw capuchins, howlers, sloths, birds, and caimans there. And I agree with the Manuel Antonio suggestion - you'll practically trip over the wildlife in the park, and most of the hotels have monkeys on the property.
Aug 29th, 2007, 04:53 AM

We just got back from a week in MA and certainly had no problems seeing plenty of wildlife (and the beaches at MA Nat Park are incredible). And yes, certainly do the mangrove swamp tour. [We did Iguana Tours with Barbara as guide. Originally from Switzerland, she's been in CR for 15 yrs and was incredibly informative].

Besides the animals CarolM mentions, we also saw incredible variety of butterflies, hummingbirds, herrons, white-faced monkeys, coatis (raccoon family but look like anteaters), caimans, green boas, etc.