Reload this Page >

All-inclusive in PDC or not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 10:05 AM
eileen

Hi, my husband and I have just about decided on the Gran Porto Real in PDC -- we don't like really huge resorts and it seems to get good reviews. Also, the price is great. We have the option to go all-inclusive or just room only. We do not consider ourselves "all-inclusive people" as we think half the fun of vacation is trying different places to eat. However, since the all-inclusive charge is only $500 for both of us for a week, we're tempted. Your input please! How are the restaurants in PDC? Will we end up spending lots more $$ than $500 if we don't go with the all-inclusive? We are not huge eaters or drinkers. And lastly, can we walk from the Porto Real to downtown PDC? Thanks for your help!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 03:25 PM
Eileen

Anyone?

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:29 PM
Susan

OK, I'll try. I think that the Porto Real is more or less right in or next to Playa del Carmen. Everything is within walking distance. <BR> <BR>Personally I don't like AI. When I think of $500, I'm assuming you mean $500 USD. That equates to probably a little under $800 CAD. That's probably about what my husband and I would spend in a week - maybe more, maybe less. Like you, we're not big drinkers. There are lots of nice restaurants in Playa del Carmen. Again, like you, 1/2 the fun of a holiday is trying different restaurants. <BR> <BR>That's just my opinion.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 08:57 PM
LIZ

In our experience, you can spend $100 in one day just for breakfast, lunch and a few drinks around the pool.... <BR> <BR>We always stay at AIs, but even going to dinner and an occasional lunch in town or while doing some sightseeing, We think it's a better deal... <BR> <BR>And as Susan says, it's just MY opinion... <BR> <BR>Have a great time whatever... LIZ

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 03:51 AM
texasgirl

Eileen, I personally wouldn't do an all-inclusve in Playa, especially since your resort is within walking distance of dozens of places, and walking around and choosing restaurants is a lot of the fun there. If you are not big eaters or drinkers, I think you could easily spend no more than $500, unless you eat at the fanciest places every night. Off the main 5th avenue, there are lots of little taquerias and cafes that are inexpensive, and even the ones on 5th avenue are not as expensive as in other resorts like Cancun. Also, you will probably be taking trips from there and so will have to pay for at least a few meals on the road, at Tulum and such. <BR> <BR>I thought Porto Real also used to have a half-board option _ breakfast and some other meals? _ maybe that would be a compromise? <BR>Have fun...

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Sue

I just returned from 10-day honeymoon at Port Real. My husband and I don't consider ourselves all-inclusive people either but decided to try it since the difference was low and when you divide it out by person per day it seems reasonable. I found it to be worth it for the convenience. While we aren't big drinkers either, even bottled water adds up - and it was quite hot and humid so you do drink a lot of beverages. The food was fine but nothing spectacular. They have 3 restaurants. The main place to eat offers buffet style (I was sick of buffets by the time we left). There is a restaurant with a very limited selection that changes nightly. The pool restaurant offers sandwiches and snacks (I recommend the chicken tacos). There are plenty of restaurants around the corner on 5th avenue. We did not eat at any of them. I did not like venturing out to 5th avenue often because the locals are always trying to sell you something or getting into your shop, including restaurants. Since I didn?t try them I can?t comment on the cost, but I did not find many bargains overall while there. Most people at Porto Real were all inclusive. All-inclusive also includes the benefit of free room service and use of the bikes and kayaks and such. I had read somewhere before we went that you get a better choice of room if you go all inclusive, but I?m not sure I believe that. <BR><BR>I would recommend that you confirm your room directly with the hotel before you go. We weren?t happy with our room when we arrived and they blamed it on the travel agent. They were not as accommodating as I would expect in correcting it. Also, they invite you to a breakfast welcome thing where they try to sell you a vacation. We went and listened for 20 minutes and got out of it a $50 voucher good for a tour, Mexican blanket, beech bag, and bottle of tequila. I recommend listening. It?s worth it for the $50 USD, that you can use towards a tour.<BR><BR>If you have any other questions, let me know.<BR>