All inclusive in CR???

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All inclusive in CR???

Has anyone stayed at any of the all inclusives in Costa Rica?? I know many people go for the adventure and are not looking to stay at just one place, but I am curious. We have seen several advertised lately...Bracelo, Paradsus, Occidentals.....any feedback out there??

Also, what is the average cost of a dinner in Costa Rica - is it similar to the Carribbean where the prices are steep due to availability?
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 10:28 AM

I've never stayed at an AI in my 8 trips to CR, but here's what I do know...DON'T go to the AI in Puntarenas. Ugly area, ugly beach. I've heard that the Melia Playa Conchal is nice and has lot's of activities.

That said, no it's NOT as expensive as the Caribbean. You can get a full meal, salad, rice/beans and fish for $5.00. Some of the 'touristy' places will be about the same as the states, but the better, 'Tico' places are very, very reasonable. Very FEW places charge the same as Caribbean prices.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:51 AM

I am going on an all inclusive 13 day tour with OAT {Overseas Adventure Travel} It includes nice hotels [5], all meals, transportation [air conditioned mini van] rain forest, volcano etc. If you are interested you can visit them at www.oattravel.com. They limit their trips to 16 people max and it is usually older people.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:12 AM

I was at the Occidental Allegro Papagayo, for one week at the start of Aug with my family and thought it was really nice for the price. I've got a trip report out here somewhere, just do a scan for the resort.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:05 PM

Check out my report listed under "Paradisus Playa Conchal" dated some time in May 2003. Any questiosn, drop me a line.
Lisa S
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:03 PM

ally,
What do you know about the Marriott in the Puntarenas area? I know it's not a all-incl.
I hear the beach is not great, but what about that area in general?
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 09:06 AM

I was referring to the AI near Puntarenas Cith and the Ferry dock. That area is ugly and has nothing to offer, in my opinion.
The Los Suenos Marriott is in the Puntarenas Province, but is much further south, closer to Jaco. That are is quite lovely and only a couple hours from Manuel Antonio!
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 06:26 AM

although i don't normally frequent all-inclusive type resorts, i would feel safe to say the the playa conchal is one of the nicer and more exclusive resorts in the country. however, there are a few new ones that have recently opened (or are close to) in the papagayo area, including the four seasons.

food costs vary according to type of establishments. restaurants that are frequented mostly by locals can be very inexpensive ($5- $10 for full meal) whereas resorts or tourist destinations can be closer to developed country price ranges.

the caribbean coast seems to be slightly cheaper than the pacific coast, when it comes to restaurants. the compromise is service in many cases.

cheers!