Reload this Page >

Al or Hotel ? Cancun or PDC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:58 PM
Shel

Well, we have decided to fly into Cancun using FF miles but now we are trying to figure out if we should get a hotel and buy our own food/drinks or choose an all inclusive - any suggestions on an AI? Also, any thoughts on where to stay Cancun or PDC/Maya Riveria?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:41 AM
Jean

Tough question to answer. Cancun is much more of a city than Playa Del Carmen. Long string of nothing but huge hotels. The beach is beautiful, and I've never seen such blue water. However, there was a red flag for swimming most of the days we were there.<BR><BR>PDC is much more 'small town'. Lots of small hotels and restaurants. Very laid back beach, not as wide as Cancun, and the water isn't quite as blue. Personally, I was way more comfortable in Playa.<BR><BR>I don't care for all-inclusives. I like trying different restaurants at every meal (other than breakfast). Food and drinks are relatively cheap in Playa, as are many of the hotel rooms.<BR><BR>If you do opt for an all-inclusive, I'd look at the ones in Playacar, there are many, and you'd be able to walk into Playa or have only a short cab ride. Someone else can give you specifics on the resorts that are there. It's a wonderful place for a vacation.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:46 AM
Jennifer

Deciding whether to do an All-Inclusive or not or to stay in Cancun or Playa is really just personal preference. Cancun is commercialized. Lots of restaurants, shopping, bars, clubs and activities. If you are planning to go to the hotel and just lounge by the pool and tend to stay nearby the hotel, an all-inclusive might work better for you. If you plan to go out and see and do, you may feel that it is a waste of money. I've done it both ways and it just really depends on what you are going for. <BR><BR>As far as Playa, you'll definitely want to do an all-inclusive here. There is a small town, but nothing like Cancun. They have very large beautiful resorts, set on amazing beaches. Very lush and tropical atmosphere. This is the area you go to lounge.<BR><BR>I've stayed in both areas, as well as sent clients to many of the resorts and both destinations. And it really is a matter of personal preference.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:55 AM
sally

Where are the wonderful beaches in PDC? I have heard it said some beaches are rocky and you cannot swim. Some say the resorts are not really &quot;On the beach&quot;. Are there any that are really on the beach where you can go into the water. I think that would be an important factor in deciding which resort would right for most people.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:59 AM
Me

The PDC resorts in playacar (Gala, Iberostar tucan, etc.) all have lovely beaches. This year we are staying at Barcelo Maya (a little south of PDC) which is supposed to have some of the best beaches. Also Akumal has great beaches. I think the adventura palace and occidental xcaret don't have swimmable beaches.