Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Akumal to Xcaret,etc., & PDC---Bus, car, other?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm narrowing down the resorts and I think we would like to be closer to the snorkeling areas near Akumal and then on one or two days take the ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel for snorkeling excursions. Please, any suggestions on the best means of transportation from Akumal or a resort a little further north to PDC? Is there convenient bus transportation or would it be best to take a taxi(expensive?) or rent a car for the week. We will probably be enjoying the snorkeling near Akumal daily(hope I haven't been disillusioned by what I've read) and also going back and forth between Akumal and PDC for other activities. Thanks. Hope to hear from you!
Old May 9th, 2003, 05:07 AM

You could take the 'colectivo' which is a white van-bus that travels the Tulum-Corridor highway. Its cheap - about $1.50 per person.

If you have a family, a car rental would make sense - you would try Akumal, Yal-Ku lagoon and Puerto Aventuras (just walk through the Omni lobby). However, the snorkeling from shore is not great. I think it is due to tourists being carless and stepping on the coral. I would not drive to Akumal daily just for the snorkeling. (Although there's other stuff to do - there's a lovely bar called Lol-Ha. Great place to unwind, have a beer, etc., and the beach is lovely).

I love Mexico, but if you want to snorkel daily go to St. John or Virgin Gorda or if you want to go to Mexico, then take a boat snorkeling trip to a reef. On the boat snorkeling trip we saw a few green moray eels and other exotic water animals.
Old May 9th, 2003, 05:08 AM

My typing never keeps up with my thoughts - I meant to say tourists are "careless" not "carless".
Old May 9th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, Mariarosa, for responding. Just one more question, please.Well, maybe more later.;-) ----Since we've been a little spoiled by snorkeling some great places in the Abaco Islands and the Cays, and you say the snorkeling isn't that great near the shores of Akumal, do you think we might enjoy being on Cozumel Island more and snorkeling from their shores and taking boat trips out to different reefs? We love to snorkel! We have thought about getting certified to dive, but then that's even more expense each time. Kind of hard to dive downward to see more though with those life jackets on they make you wear on snorkeling excursions. --So....Cozumel or near Playa del Carmen on the coastline?
Old May 9th, 2003, 11:20 AM

I think the snorkeling from the shore in Cozumel was comparable to Akumal and Pto Aventuras (or even a bit worse) or Trunk Bay in St. John - colorful fish, some coral, mostly plant-like. However, we did not stay at the Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel, which is supposed to have the best snorkeling from the shore at Cozumel. I do think the key in this area is to take boat trips to outer reefs, which are in great shape and have lots of interesting marine life and hard coral that is alive. We took a boat trip to a reef called Ino and it was beautiful.
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your input, Mariarosa. I think we will lodge near Playa del Carmen to enjoy activities along the Riviera Maya coastline and take a few boat trips out to the reefs for snorkeling, plus a day on Cozumel Island just to tour and enjoy what it has to offer. I took down notes on what you mentioned about the Virgin Islands. We may get there some day, too! Que tengas buenas vacaciones!(I used to teach Spanish