Search

Akumal AIs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Akumal AIs

Just wondering about AI options in Akumal for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens). Are any of them walking distance to town? And what kind of town is Akumal? How does it compare to Playa Del Carmen? I've also been to Puerto Aventuras and didn't think mich of it (kind of a tourist town, not very Mexican).
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Akumal is a small fishing village compared to Playa. There a few restaurants and shops in the town, but it is substationally smaller and much lower key than Playa. Definitely not a "party" atmosphere at all. The Akumal Beach Resort is in the town, definitely within walking distance to the restaurants. I've only done condos in Akumal, but I walked past ABR and thought it looked nice. I suggest locogringo.com for great pictures and and reviews.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 11:12 AM

I also wanted to mention that the snorkeling in Akumal is quite good, especially for the sea turtles. I have not been to Puerto Aventuras.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

We don't care about a 'party' scene. I just like having a town nearby to browse around a little for a change of pace from the beach. Maybe have a dinner in dinner, that kind of thing. We aren;t interested in nightlife, bars or clubs.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

I've looked at locogringo. I hear the beaches are really nice and the snokelling good, that's why I'm thinking of Akumal.

We unfortunately would be going Christmas week. This isn't my first choide of vacation time, but it's the only week during the school year that my kids are off simultaneously. This is kind of a last hurrah family vacation before my oldest is off to college. My kids already decided they'd like to go back to a Maya Riviera AI.

We've previously stayed at the Sun Palace (when they were little), what is now the Gala resort in Playacar (when they were much younger) and the Barcelo Maya (a few years ago). We like to try different places.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM

There are several casual and nice restaurants within walking distance of the town of Akumal and the ABR. There are a couple of grocery stores, a cute but expensive jewelry store, dive shops, internet cafe. Also, we walked to Yal Ku Lagoon which is a little fresh water inlet from the ocean that had great snorkeling. I'm sure it will be busy there during Xmas, but probably not as busy as it would be in Playa or Cancun.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kath. This is exactly the info I wanted.

I've also thought about the condo option, but my kids just love these resorts. They really don't even part-take in the organized activites, they just like to eat what and when they want, on their own, and do like to take advantage of some of the facilities (tennis, etc). They tend to stick together, but the possibiliy of having other kids their age there, is also appealing to them.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 12:52 PM

I certainly understand how AI's appeal to teens. I know NOTHING of how teen friendly the ABR or other Akumal resorts are. Locogringo.com has a message board just like this one, but it specifically focused on questions about Akumal/Playa/Tulum. You might go there and ask what they think would be the best place for teens in Akumal. Good luck - I absolutely love Akumal. It's a very relaxing, safe, happy place!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions on when is a good time to book (how far in advance), and where I may be able to get the best deals for that week. ALso would I be better off looking for a package deal, or booking air and land separately. I've checked airfare and nonstops (NYC to Cancun) are ridiculously high. I'm hoping they come down. Right now most of the booking sites don't even have info on hotel/package deals for that week.