Search

AIR to CR?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIR to CR?

I've always flown on a major airline to places - but the prices are over $650 on them out of Newark... when I plug in JFK - I get rates under $400 with names I'm not familiar with (LACSA & LACA)... are they SAFE? GOOD?

THANKS AGAIN!
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 04:59 AM

See good discussion on this thread under "NYC to SJO: are LACSA and TACA OK?"
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:05 AM

I haven't flown them, but they get good reviews. I think the company's name is TACA with a T. Apparently, they operate together under one parent company now.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:26 AM

TACA is based in El Salvador, and has flights from many airports in the United States. You may or may not end up changing planes there. LACSA was the name of Costa Rica's national airline, but it doesn't really exist these days. Some of TACA's flights to and from Costa Rica have "LACSA" designations, but it's all TACA. It's fine to fly them.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Are your dates flexible? Continental has good fares out of Newark. When you check for fares make sure you check the box that shows you the fares for plus or minus three days.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM

lpowmacback:

We flew Lacsa many many years ago to Costa Rica. Our connection was out of Los Angeles [from Canada].

The line up at Lacsa in LA was long with many Tico passengers bringing fridge size carry on. The plane was so full with cargo that our luggage [2 suite cases for two people] got left behind. It took a week to get them back.

The in flight service was teriffic. The best that I have ever had. Canapes and beer served free throughout the flight with very polite and attentive staff.

We were delayed on our way down during a stop in a majfor city [can not remember now] and this stop took 8 hours and we could not leave the holding room - no visa to enter that country. The plane had hydraulic problems and had to wait for a part to be flown in from ??.

On our way home, the flight out of San Jose was also delayed. I looked out of the airport window and it appeared that a mechanic was removing a fuel filter which he dumped out and reinstalled. We were then on our way.

I said nothing to my wife, but if it was a fuel filter, then dumping it out would not solve a problem of dirt in the fuel tank [which was not 'dumped out'].

We got back to LA safe and sound and once more we got excellent in flight service.

I understand that LACSA had since been sold to a Japanese firm but I do not know if this is true or not.

Perhaps you can find a web sie that will give you air line safety information.

Looking back, it is all pretty funny now [not then].

Woodie
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM

There are flights from EWR to SJO for $189 + taxes for round trip if your dates are flexible on American Airlines.